ad: elecraft

Rookie boat anchor owner SB301/401 questions

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD0ZGW, Jan 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Were it me, I'd be very inclined to replace the power supply filter caps if they are the originals - VERY old if so. The nice thing about working on Heathkits is you can go through the manual to figure out any tiny detail of how it all goes together! To fix the tuning dial, just go to the manual section about BUILDING the dial and work through the steps one at a time.

The SB-301 / SB-401 is one of the coolest pairings of ham gear ever created.

I LOVE my setup and use it regularly, exclusively on CW as "separates"

Dave
    W7UUU

The "Heathkit side" of my current shack - 301/401 with SB-650 on top, the SB-101 on bottom that I use on SSB:

[​IMG]

KA0HCP, WA7PRC and KK6IYM like this.
  2. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Glen,

What's the Phillips pan head bolt/screw on the SB-310 holding onto?

Jack W3RU

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RU:

The machine screw is holding absolutely nothing!

I got the receiver, a few months ago, in, basically, an Internet auction (locally run and, if you want to, can attend but most bidding is done over the Internet) for $25.00. For that amount, the cabinet was worth the cost. The receiver was, of course, missing the power cord and there was a hole drilled in the front panel. I put the machine screw in the hole.

A previous owner had really messed up the LMO but I had several replacements in stock. I replaced the LMO and put on one of the Heath power cords that I sell. The receiver did have all 3 filters: AM, SSB, and CW. It also has the Heath modification kit to replace the 11-meter CB band with the 15-meter / 13-meter band.

The SB-310 is not all that common and, even though it definitely needed work, at $25.00 it was really a steal! In the same auction, I got an HP 608 signal generator on a roll-around platform and several test leads for $10.00 plus a BC-348 with an AC power supply for another $10.00! It seems that no one was interested in such equipment!

Heath power cord-1.JPG

Here is the power cord. It allows the use of a 3-wire cord without needing to change the power connector. This SB-310 did not have the ground lug so one of the power connector machine screws needed to be reversed. Some of the SB-301 and SB-300 receivers have the ground lug and some do not. The SB-400 and SB-401 all do have the ground lug. The SB-303 and SB-313 came with a 3-wire power cord.

Glen, K9STH

4. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice acquisition, Glen. I also have an SB-310 with all the filters, but seldom fire it up. It is still in the original state with the CB bands, however. I use a 1960's TV cheater cord which I ground down to fit.

Your unit looks nicely restored - especially the cabinet paint. Thanks to your formulas, I am able to get my cabs looking good - even when I must pre-spray them with the textured paint after stripping them. I've gotten that down pat, using your suggested Harbor Freight touch up spray gun and Walmart paint suggestions. I will soon be in need of another quart of SW paint, however.

Just curious about your power cords - is the business end molded around the pins using a hardening compound, or do you simply shrink wrap these? A picture would be great.

We always enjoy, and value your contributions to our hobby for this old gear!

Jack W3RU

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KD0ZGW

KD0ZGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen; thx for info and in particular the comparisons with the Collins hwde. Very useful info for a rookie boat anchor collector that also wants equipment I can actually operate.

best regards;
    mark s. kd0zgw