ROHN 9H50 Telescoping Mast Sections Won’t Move

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9BAY, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't use pipe wrenches but two strap wrenches would accomplish the same and not damage the galvanized surfaces.

WZ7U likes this.
  2. K9BAY

K9BAY Ham Member QRZ Page

OK here is the key. You have to use a piece of metal pipe. I was able to loosen one section with a 1 1/2 “ metal pipe ( I happen to have a piece working on another antenna project.

But for the other stuck section I will have to purchase a 1 3/4 “ pipe and I may be able to pound it loose. But my concern is that that it will get stuck again. Even the section I was able to loosen, still has a lot of resistance moving it. I have to remember that a Cushcraft R8 will also be mounted to it. So you are also working against gravity. Those inner mast sections need to slide freely to accomplish the goal of raising the R8.

We will have to see if DX Engineering will be able to send a replacement. Or if I will have to deal directly with ROHN as I selected this mast As it is made of higher quality. And had good reviews.

3. K9BAY

K9BAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news! DX Engineering is going to replace the mast. BIG KUDOS to DX Engineering!

Please support this ham radio dealer!

Thanks!

W1TRY and N8TGQ like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They do have a very good reputation for customer satisfaction.

Sounds like the problem you had with the original one is something was either slightly out of round or slightly bent (possibly in transit). It takes only a miniscule bend that probably can't even be "seen" to cause interference.