ROHN 9H50 Telescoping Mast Sections Won’t Move

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9BAY, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9BAY

K9BAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am raising the mast As a trial run, before mounting the antenna to the mast, and sections 1, 4, & 5 move with no problem.. Sections 2 and 3 are stuck!!

A ham friend suggested using monkey wrenches turning in opposite directions, to see if I can get it to turn/ move.

Anybody else run into this issue?

THANKS!

2. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WD40???

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

They probably got 'hammered' together during shipment.

First time it's ever been extended?

The wrenches might not be such a good idea. The last thing you want to do is to deform the roundness of the tubes. (and, if it's galvanized, the teeth will cut through that coating and you'll have spots where rust can start to form)

I would probably try 'shaking' them loose first. Clamp the bottom down somehow and pull and shake at the same time. Be prepared to fall on your butt when they let go!

Tug-O-War with a pair of 4WD vehicles oughta do it.

K4AGO likes this.
  4. K9BAY

K9BAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I am going to call DX Engineering where I purchased it and see what my options are!

See picture...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That's actually a pretty good idea before you go monkeying with it and possibly damage it further.

You might be able to drive them apart with some appropriately sized hardwood dowels.

K0UO likes this.
  6. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try a little bit of lubricant and gently tap with a rubber mallet whilst pulling? Ouch, that sounds naughty. How about a blow dryer try to expand the outer section a tad.

7. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Monkey (pipe) wrenches are a very bad idea.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee, in another thread about using Rohn masts, I was inundated with 'corrections" that they are "easily pushed up by hand". ;)

K7MH likes this.
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. I would like to get a 50ft pushup a small tribander and a rotor and drive around to each of their homes and see how that REALLY goes. See who can push it up the furthest!:)

I would take a piece of wood and place it on the edge of the smallest one that is stuck from the bottom and hit the other end of the piece of wood with a mallet or hammer to try and loosen it and move it forward in the larger tubing.
    The wood doesn't really have to fit it perfectly just get it on the end of the tube somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They usually are, but the 9H50 is a bit newer model (didn't exist 20-30-40-50 years ago) with more and shorter sections and I've actually never used one.

The old, original H50 is five sections and extends to about 45 feet and I've pushed those up by hand scores of times, with a rotator and beam on top. Those were pre-greased at the factory (making them a bit slippery -- gloves definitely needed!) and usually slipped up and down with no issues when new.