ad: CQMM-1

Rock & Roll technology innovation from Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Sep 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Understood.

I went ahead and uploaded my CD to archive.org, that's been on my list of things to do for a long time, it's here:
    https://archive.org/details/fractalseverywherev1

No discussion of ham radio and music is complete without mentioning
    Chet Atkins (W4CGP), Les Paul (a radio pirate), Bob Heil (K9EID) (already mentioned) and of course Joe Walsh (WB6ACU).

JoeWalshGotAnyGum.png

KC7HDE, KM1H, K4PIH and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

Joe is a survivor. He is the first to admit that after all the drugs and booze and partying, he is lucky to come out the other side.

Frankly, Joe looks much YOUNGER and HEALTHIER today than he did 30 years ago! That's because he chucked the pills and smoke and juice:)

More power to him:)

N2EY and WZ7U like this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The world wonders ... ;)

Here is a PODCAST (always popular on today's Zed News :() of a biographical interview with another member of that ham radio rock & roll audio gang, Richard Factor, apparently aka @WA2IKL.

"This week, John and Stewart are joined by prolific inventor, visionary and founder of Eventide, Richard Factor. Part one of the interview features Richard’s formative years - from his pre-teen experiments in ham radio, which interfered with the neighbor’s TV reception to his ‘phone freak’ adventure that earned him a free ride ‘downtown’ to an inspirational meeting with Bob Moog (before for he was ‘Bob Moog’), and on to his first job in the ‘60s as NYC top forty radio station WABC’s “Evil Ox”. You'll also hear about how Eventide got its name and the development of revolutionary studio products like the Instant Phaser, the Omnipressor® and the early Digital Delay lines."

CAUTION! This podcast discussion is rated R for a small amount of explicit profanity !! If sensitive to that, its best to IMMEDIATELY skip the intro and go directly to the interview starting at about 14:30.

Return of the Jedi, Richard Factor

73, John WØPV

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I mixed FOH sound for over 40 years, spent 9 years of those with Eddie Money (RIP) in his heyday also 25 plus years with The Tubes, no time for ham radio in those days! Now retired lots of time for ham radio, miss the massive PA's though don't miss all the hotels and airports!

W0RIO and W0PV like this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might you be thinking of Chet Atkins?

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

KE 8 IWM ---Please retract. The urinal statement is yours, not mine.

I dont hate Henry. I just think, IMO he was delusioned about his ability to control what the public wanted.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

and freakin deli platters!! :)

10. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

The after show pizza was worse!

W1YW likes this.
  11. KC1LEP

KC1LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

"what's the frequency kenneth" is actually what was said to Dan Rather just before they guys mugged him in NYC - REM put it in their song...
    "What's the frequency Kenneth?" - or "Kenneth, what's the frequency" is actually what was said to Dan Rather just before two guys mugged him in NYC in the 80's - That's the reference in the REM song...

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the popular notion, and Rather is no stranger to controversy, but N2KS, Kenneth, has an expanded take on that tale.

It's in the online interview linked in the OP. Scroll down about 25% to the section titled "Was "What's The Frequency Kenneth" written about you? I had always heard it was about a guy who attacked Dan Rather."

"It wasn't Dan Rather the muggers were after, it was me. (!) Rather took a taxi home from Columbia University, where he'd gone to lay his own eyes on my "Incredible, laws of physics defying" Russian TV tracking system — something emphatically voyeuristic at the time. On his way home when he got accosted with these guys going "Kenneth, what is the frequency!?"

At the time "how" I was managing to receive internal Soviet TV signals from the East Coast of the US was of interest to a lot of people… FBI? CIA? KGB? BBC? BB King? (sic) "What's the frequency?!" and they followed the wrong guy home. ..."

There's more, "....K.E.N.N.E.T.H. on the (REM) album cover, is Morse Code for the name..."!

More details here too -> http://www.setileague.org/articles/ham/13winter.pdf

The sat TV spy gimmick was real ham radio hacker ingenuity - Read about it! :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    N1YR and W1YW like this.
  13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good point but I was aware of Chet Atkins when asking the question.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a pic of Ken's wireless diversity system. The problem it solved was obvious--but it also prevented electrocution: live stages are notorious for poorly grounded electronics, including guitar amps.

I contacted Ken and he says 'its a hoot' that he's a news item on QRZed and he's enjoying it all:)

The explanation for WTFK is confirmed by Ken.

Chip W1YW

[​IMG]

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Notta ham.

In the CHASING SOUND doc he tells how he built radio receivers from oatmeal cartons, but the evidence that he was licensed is not extant to my knowledge. Kids in rural Wisconsin would have had a tough time, logistically, to take/ pass a test in the 30's.

Anyone have better info?

K3XR likes this.