ad: CQMM-1

Robert B. Farrington, NC4BB SK July 17, 2018

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Jul 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Robert B. Farrington, NC4BB SK

[​IMG]

Robert "Bob" Bailey Farrington

June 4, 1936 - July 17, 2018

Thomasville

For years, it has been my habit to check the obituaries to see if I am still alive. Now, I find myself listed here. Oh my, I guess that means my lease on life has expired, July 17, 2018.

I was born in Thomasville, NC on June 4, 1936, the third child for Dr. Reno K. and Mary B. Farrington. My sister Nan Chritton preceded me. I am survived by brother, Dr. John K. Farrington. I attended public schools there and enjoyed higher education at UNC and Duke.

At the age of 12, I was given a job traveling with the local minor league baseball team, telephoning back information used for the recreation broadcasts of their road games. That led to a 30 year career in radio and TV in Thomasville, Durham, Orlando and Raleigh. And, later in life my hobby of the Ham radio.

I was wed to the former Betty Jo Smith who preceded me along with our child, Reno K. Farrington II. I am survived by my daughter, Laura Cammer; son Joe and his wife Merry Kay; son Bennett and his wife Alisa; granddaughters, Nora B. Aker and her husband Brandon, Stephanie House and her husband Jason, and Kim Olive and her husband Bobby; and a host of great grandchildren.

In 1983, I moved to the Bahamas to fly for Carson Helicopters. My long interest in aviation already had included achieving the Airline Transport Pilot license, experience as a flight instructor and service as an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner.

After flying for a year for the State of North Carolina, I achieved my jet type rating and began a long career with Atlantic Aero in Greensboro, NC. My second wife, the former Linda Scarborough Dement, and I were the crew of a charter jet for ten years. She also preceded me in death.

I finished my career teaching and testing in business jets in Dallas, TX, Miami and Orlando, FL. I gave my last flight check shortly after my 70th birthday, ending my career with just over 17,000 hours of logged experience.

In 2016, I decided to move back to where my story began, Thomasville, NC. I moved into an "Old Folks Home", Piedmont Crossing, where I met many new wonderful friends. I was also fortunate to reconnect with family and other friends in NC.

A Memorial Service will be held at 4:00pm on Sunday, July 29, 2018, in the Chapel of Cumby Family Funeral Service, 1015 Eastchester Drive, High Point, NC 27262. The family will receive friends following the service at the funeral home.

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a donation to the Hospice Home at High Point, or the Civil Air Patrol.

Online condolences may be shared at www.cumbyfuneral.com

Published in The News & Observer on July 22, 2018

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/n...bailey-farrington-bob&pid=189647250&fhid=5954