ad: Schulman-1

Robbed of 260 Mb Today by Excede-Viasat ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N4UP, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Title should say MB not Mb. Typo.

I have satellite-based internet ( slow and unreliable but still the best available here ). My "service" and billing is with DISHnet but in my case they farm it out to Excede ( Viasat ).

Anyway, I have a 10 GB monthly limit from 8 am-2 am and another ( rarely used ) 10 GB from 2 am-8 am. That is just over 300 MB per day in each of the two time periods.

In order to manage my data usage I have software ( Networx ) which monitors all eight of my home computers, collectively and separately ( # 26 through # 33 ) ( # 1 through # 25 are all retired ). If the collected usage reaches 300 MB in one day, I get an alert from Networx. I do not monitor or measure satellite modem updates.

I was only using two computers today. One ( Computer #27 ) for email and browsing, the other ( Computer #31 ) for editing. Both were connected to my LAN and to the internet, but on the one ( # 31 ) I did not run any software that needed the internet.

I have Windows 7 with updates turned off ( my choice ). Likewise no automatic updates for any installed software except for Webroot. Sometimes my security software ( Webroot ) will update, and I will see the data usage. No problem. But this was a mystery.

So I looked at the Networx data and learned that between 2-3 pm on # 31 something used 130 MB of my data limit. And between 9-10 pm on # 27 likewise. That is 260 MB of data. The IP addresses for both were similar and both belong to Viasat. I don't mind them updating the modem firmware but they have no business accessing any of my computers.

So. I have now blocked the entire range of offending IP addresses ( inbound and outbound ) and will see what happens. My internet is still working.

Now I suppose it could be something other than Excede-Viasat pretending to be Excede-Viasat? Or possibly something that I need and would approve of if I knew what it was. But dang, I cannot afford 130 MB of data usage per computer whenever "they" like.

Obviously I have trust issues.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Be thankful you don't have kids using up your allotment. My kids seem to be fond of taking up most of our 10Gb/mo. :(

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth!!!!! Been there done that.

My kids all finally crossed the "responsibility for their own lives Mountain Pass" - and we dropped them from our plan.

Miserable times allocating the bandwidth for all the years of the "family plan" where DAD had the only absolute need for data, to run his business on the road.

Thankfully, that's all in the past and all 5 kids now have their own plans that THEY pay for.... and it's AMAZING how much less data they "need" now LOL!!

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just think what Win 10 would require to update. 130 MB is just a drop in the bucket.

I feal your pain, I have the same problem with my ISP.

Data is unlimited at dial-up speed. :mad:

N4UP likes this.
  5. N4UP

When my kids and grand-kids visit they know the rules --- ( 1 ) no streaming, ( 2 ) no big downloads, and ( 3 ) no Windows 10 computers connected to the LAN between 8:00 am and 2:00 am.

In addition to Networx I also have SoftPerfect Network Scanner and Wifi Guard which periodically scans my network, identifies any unknown devices, and sounds an alarm. Catches my visiting kids' cell phones every time they connect to my LAN. If I am not home, Wifi Guard sends me an email if there is an intruder on the LAN.

If I need to do a program update I get up at 6:00 am and am sure to finish by 8:00 am. I also have a kill switch between the satellite modem and LAN router so I can continue LAN activity without an internet connection.

I do all the backups for my eight computers ( using SyncBackPro ) over the LAN, to three NAS drives, not to the "cloud."

I have three full-time jobs, ( 1 ) playing radio, ( 2 ) maintaining the acreage/antenna farm, and ( 3 ) managing the content on the various computers. Unless one or more of my kids are visiting, then I suddenly become "normal" ...

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't have any issues with my W10 systems updating. If you have multiple W10 systems on a local network, you can set it up so that only one of the systems downloads the update. The others can then get the update from the local network. I have my active hours set for 4:00 AM to 6:00 PM. An update may download in the background during that time, but I won't receive any notices. At night, I just put the PC to sleep. I can keep an update from installing for three or four weeks. That's usually long enough to hear about any issues with the update, before I actually update.

I only have a DSL network connection. Only one system is connected to the router, with a RG-45 cable. All the others are WiFi connections. The only time I have network issues is when there is a big storm or when the local morons dig up the fiber optic cable looking for copper. I don't have any of those "time of day" restrictions and I have never had the network slow to a crawl.

But, there are only two of us, the XYL and me, using the network. The XYL only uses it for email and browsing houses that are for sale. I use my system for email also, but I also do a lot of searching and viewing. And, of course, QRZ one or twice a day. But the bulk of my work (web page development, Verilog simulations, Antenna analysis, etc.) happens locally and doesn't need the network.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds good. Sounds scary also.

One computer being tapped in to on your LAN, So it can screw all of them up with only 1 download.

Whatever works for you is cool. :cool:

8. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter, I've got Hughesnet Gen5, for $70/mo I get 20GB 7am to 2am. Then 50GB after hours. I too have Networx because I was loosing data, but I think I traced it to my wife who was letting some of these videos run in tabs she wasn't using. Since I cured that, I've been fine. One day a young buck came in and wanted on the router so I let him and in 3 days he used up some 10GB of data or more. Of course he was using everything off the 'cloud' so every time he came in the house, he must have been up and downloading incredible amounts of data. Luckily it was right at the end of our monthly period, but I cut him off anyhow. Any more I don't let people on unless they know the rules. Most don't coming here from the city where they have no clue how much data they're using.

The speeds here are pretty good in the mornings, over 1MB/s, but late in the day and especially weekends it will drop down in the 100's of KB. Verizon has a tower up recently just a mile away, hopefully it will be on line soon, I'll switch. I don't care for the latency. It does make things slow. I've had Hughes since about 2004 or so and will be glad to get rid of it. But it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Our neighbor has it and even streams netflix, he must have the top level account.

N4UP likes this.
  9. N4UP

Thanks for the insights. I had Hughesnet 2005-2008 in rural North Carolina and much of the time it was slower and less reliable than dial-up. I have heard the newer Hughes stuff is much better. Your data allowance is appealing, but I think I would be trading speed for data. Mine is 2 to 3 MB/s most of the time, which is not bad, but slows to 400-500 KB/s sometimes. Of course it goes out completely whenever there is a dark cloud to the southwest.

I can stream Netflix, sometimes, but the data usage is a killer. I got up early one morning last week and downloaded two Netflix shows, cost me nearly 2 GB of my monthly 10 GB after hours budget.

I have a Verizon cell phone, but the nearest Verizon tower is 15 miles away. Even with an outdoor cell-phone antenna and amplifier, it is still less reliable than Dishnet. If I were closer to their tower, I would probably switch to Verizon for internet as well. Sometimes when the satellite internet goes out I use my phone to create a hotspot and it works, sometimes, but it doesn't last long.

I miss the fast reliable internet and cell phone service I had when I lived in the Raleigh area, but I do not miss the HOA antenna restrictions. In moving out here I knew what I was gaining ( towers, antennas ), and what I was giving up. So no regrets. Even so, I am still hopeful of some internet improvement one of these days.

10. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Wi-Fi local that says they can provide service, but with the Verizon coming in, I just don't want to try something new for a few months and have to eat the installation costs, plus I won't know what their speeds would be like but it would be unlimited data and they say 5-6MB/s. Hughes for me was always better than Erols dial up. When they went G5, things really improved and reliability got much better, but the speed drops are pretty bad in the evenings. That may depend on your local beam, I just don't know. We still get netflix DVD so we don't worry about streaming. It's good enough for us. Our sat only goes out with thunderstorms.