ad: Alphaant-1

Road trips in desert southwest

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ7UBV, May 21, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ7UBV

KJ7UBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have a tendency to waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy overthink stuff sometimes to the point of madness. :D:D:D

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you give an example of a PLB that charges fees?

All the ones I know of use the international SARSAT 406 MHz distress system which doesn’t charge fees to end users. This is the same system used in boats, ships and aircraft, not the satellite communicators like InReach and Spot which use the Iridium or Globalstar LEO satellites.

https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get the Repeater book app

Just select repeaters along your route copy them and drop them in the RT program/ very easy
    There are many long range mountain top and linked repeaters in your area.

KO4ESA and KJ7UBV like this.
  5. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

A while back I purchased a ARRL CD
    [​IMG]
    If you can find one it still is a great resource. I believe you can make updates to the db. One can plan a trip and set up the desired repeaters ahead of time. Too bad they discontinued the product.
    For me, I enjoy mobile HF. However, the family does not want to listen to all that noise on the road so a single bluetooth (or wired) earphone is suggested to keep the peace. I use a screwdriver antenna with a auto-tuner for hands free tuning. There are folks that do listen to the simplex freq's. The truckers still use 11m if you really get into a bind. Keep it simple, take lots of water, common sense stuff.
    GPS and a laptop powered by 12VDC adds to the fun. Keep your eyes on the road of course and don't watch those flashing white lines going by for too long....hi.

KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  6. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Satellite phone with a basic plan.

KO4ESA and K0UO like this.
  7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have driven all over the desert southwest. When mobile I always monitor (and periodically call) on 146.52. Very, very little activity and I think the chances of a ham being on .52 in an area where there is no cell coverage are slim. My answer when in such remote areas is to carry my personal locator device (in my case SPOT). Yes they cost a little bit of $$ (not much actually) but being Satellite based you always have a way to send messages

KO4ESA, N0TZU and K0UO like this.
  8. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

APRS phone app
    RepeaterBook app
    EchoLink
    The apps will give you some idea of how much radio activity is in the area.
    I agree with all the excellent advice you’ve been given.
    General license will give you more frequency privileges.
    Have fun on your travels.

9. KO4OCF

KO4OCF Ham Member QRZ Page

Being new to this hobby I am learning more and more about mobile operation. Yesterday my friend and I experimented in our cars with identical Yaesu FT3DR HT, on 147.xxx MHz, simplex. I used a magnet mount short antenna by Diamond. He was rubber on-radio antenna only. He couldn't transmit to me at all, but could hear me fine. We moved to a local repeater, with the same result. Inside or outside of the car...same thing. Obviously a HT with a short antenna on the radio won't work as well as a mobile antenna, we all know that. But, for your situation, it would seem necessary to really figure out the right mobile antenna for your rig. I imagine with a good antenna reaching repeaters would be possible.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've carried a SPOT for about 10 years when off road (hiking, dirt bikes, whatever). I also take a small analog FM HT, but the SPOT leaves a "breadcrumb" trail automatically on the private web tracking page. Great tool.

KO4ESA and N7WR like this.