RME 1939 transmitter. Big one.

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD2AZI, Nov 21, 2018.

1. KD2AZI

KD2AZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I made this find recently and was thrilled to try and muscle it into the Jeep and finally home without too much damage. I shared this on antiqueradios.com; and all of my queries to my usual radio librians and researchers regarding documentation have come up empty.

A tag inside the transmitter has a note about the set with a date of 1939. Mostly Taylor tubes, a final amplifer T-55, and modulators #756. 866s for rectifiers. There are three shelves: PS, modulator, oscillator & final amp.

The most curious things are the aluminum plug-in units labeled A, B, C, D, one set for each band. I have complete sets for 20, 160 meters, and will be on the unobtanium hunt for the missing ones. I know I've seen these units once before...

It was stored recently in a damp environment and there is some chassis and cabinet rust, so I'll have my work cut out for me. I broke a 756 tube in the move and luckily a friend had a replacement.

RME corp., Serial number is 80, and it looks like the model number is 175RT. Owned originally by W3IBI, a doctor in Vineland, NJ.
    Just wanted to share this, and as always, comments are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KB2FCV, KE5OFJ, KC8YLT and 5 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool! GL with it.

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that thing is built. Looks like an interesting project and we're looking forward to it (living vicariously through other's rebuilds).

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's really cool - glad it landed in a good home. I do truly hope it goes back on the air

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Back when things were built to last. Looks like all the knobs and everything else is there and it wasn't taken apart by scavengers.

Perhaps a little wrinkle finish would spruce up that cabinet nicely.

Nice project.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no idea RME made transmitters; I've had an RME receiver or two. Great find!

7. KD2AZI

KD2AZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky to find the extra plug-in units laying around, and an extra plug-in tank coil.

They had to have advertised this - somewhere - right?? Could not find reference in qst archives nor arrl handbooks of the period. How would a ham in small-town NJ know that the transmitter was available for purchase? Some of the RME ads mention a "Bulletin"; maybe you had to write in to request it.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see this is a pre-Electrovoice rig. Indeed, it's hard to find any pedigree from this era. Maybe you have a one-of-a-kind radio.

9. VE7GPG

VE7GPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a henry on steroids !

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it was one-of-a-kind, why does it have a serial number of 80?