RM Italy BLA600 Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KE8KUF, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8KUF

KE8KUF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

so I bought a new RM Italy BLA600 amp and continue to get random fault trips for ‘error Id’ which shuts the amp off and it needs to be reset. This error has to do with Vdd being out of range , high or low. The folks I bought it from said it was RF in the shack or 110v AC fluctuations. So I put line isolators on the antenna coax at the antenna and in the shack. Also added a AC voltage regulator to provide 110v to the amp + or - 3%. Problem still exists. Any thoughts or similar issues with this amp? I would like to send it back to the vendor if I can not get this resolved.

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Test with a dummy load. If still faulting, send it back.

Ed

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear that RM Italy made great 11m Amps such as the KL-203 etc...
    Dunno yet how well they expanded into Amateur radio...
    (But they had plenty of practice) :eek:
    Ymmv

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the user manual, ERROR Id has nothing to do with line voltage. It clearly states this means excessive drain current (on the PA FET block) indicating either the amp is being overdriven or SWR exceeds 2.0:1.

First, check your SWR “barefoot” using a known accurate SWR bridge and see what it is; if it’s above 2:1, the amp is supposed to indicate this and switch into standby. If SWR is fine, then try reducing your drive power. This amp doesn’t need much drive.

5. KE8KUF

I don’t have a dummy load but I will try decreasing the drive. I’ve been driving at about 20% in ic7300 which gives 500 watts

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could it be an initial full power spike when keying up the amp, which Icom is notorious for?

Ed

7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What modes are you working? What meter told you 500 watts? Does that meter have the capability to tell you the SWR of your antenna?

Ed beat me to the possible overshoot issue as I was typing. :p

There was an investigation of this on a different thread recently here.

Here's my 7610 at 30% power with a carrier mode selected.

TEK0001.JPG

Something like this could kick that amp off. Ed suggests using an attenuator to drive power amps that don't need much RF input power from the exciter.

Can you beg borrow or steal a dummy load that can take 500 watts? A cheapo Cantenna comes to mind here...

This would quickly tell you if RF in the shack was the problem.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... and don't forget the 7300 "hot switching" problem when UNkeying.

The 7300 unkeys the radio,....... then it unkeys the amp.:(

But, HEY, it sure is purdy.

9. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

'RM Italy' got started in this country by making CB amplifiers. They were advertised with the usual BS about being 10 meter ham amplifiers, yeah, right. If they have 'cleaned up' there act, and are producing well made amplifiers now then good for them! I'm afraid they will always have sort of a 'bad' reputation with me. I'd say 'sorry', but I'm not sorry about history...

KD8DEY likes this.
  10. KE8KUF

This is happening on SSB. I use an Mfj SWR meter which also gives me how much power is outputted. Should I add some delay like 20 msec?