ad: M2Ant-1

RM-11828 (HF Privileges for Technicians) Deadline for Filing Comments is Imminent

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K4KYV, Mar 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

More than 700 Comments have been filed in the FCC's public database as of Monday morning. Most of them are not expressed as well, for good or bad, as the one I linked above. I do think that his opportunity to put something in "the public record" about back-channel contacts is worth including. He raises questions of compliance with the ex-parte system, and if he is justified, the encounters could form the basis for a successful appeal or challenge to any Rule Making.

2. WA3VJB

Please consider taking the time to write and submit a Comment on RM-11828 to the public database at fcc.gov/ecfs to get yourself on the record. I had previously filed in Opposition to this Petition, because there is no evidence submitted to substantiate the premise. But, as Don, K4KYV points out, there's an ominous secondary issue in that flawed Petition, that needs to be challenged at every opportunity. Going on the record in this proceeding enables yourself and others to cite that concern if a future proceeding again includes "the problem."

Here's my subsequent follow up to see what's talked about regarding our part of the hobby:

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/103261861704253/11-828-2.docx

You have until 11:59PM EDT Saturday to get the FCC timestamp by deadline. Staff probably won't get to it and post it until Monday, but you'll have met the cutoff for consideration.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I would encourage all AM operators to file a comment addressing this issue, whether or not you support the basic premise of expanding Technician privileges. Other than the 10m phone privileges extended to Novices and Techs under the League's first Novice Enhancement petition, this would result in the only significant prohibition of AM in any amateur "phone" segment. Not only would this reinforce the original 10m prohibition (which the League ostensibly proposed out of fear of an influx of CB operating practices into the 10m ham band), it would set a dangerous precedent for specifically singling out AM, thus setting the stage for further prohibitions against AM in future rulemaking.

Not only should your comments urge the FCC to dismiss the SSB-only clause quietly inserted into the current petition, please urge the repeal of the existing restriction in the Novice/Tech segment at 28.3-28.5 MHz. Any threat of infiltration by a large number of 11m operators bringing CB practices into the HF phone bands has long passed, with the public's interest in CB having dwindled to almost nil with the advent cell phones and present-day smart devices.
    That was an error. The deadline is 11:59PM EDT Tuesday the 12th of April.
    There was confusion over dates, later cleared up in a phone call to the FCC's ECFS Help Desk. (Scroll back to message # 6)

4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. A cell phone with a very inexpensive (to most any American any way) service plan will allow people to talk to anyone they wish at any time, any where, and do so without others being able to listen in. The CB radio craze died out 40 years ago. Has anyone here actually tuned in to a CB channel in the last 40 years? I'm guessing most everyone reading this has a radio capable of receiving on this band, go ahead and take a listen. Get back to me if you hear anything other than static.

5. WA3VJB

At least around the cities, CB radio sounds like the United Nations as taxicab drivers speak in their native tongues.
    But I've noticed a decline in CB radios even in cabs, as hack drivers instead use smartphones.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Just Say No...solves all issues

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

So do Uber drivers. The couple of times I have used Uber services, the driver had a little mounting bracket on the dashboard to hold his smartphone, to display a GPS map to get him to the destination. You can't do that with a CB radio, plus dispatches by smartphone are private.