ad: M2Ant-1

RM-11828: FCC invites comments on ARRL petition to give Technicians HF phone privileges.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, you have the analogy backwards. The costs are not changing, the benefit is changing. If it cost $10 ten years ago, it still costs $10 today. And in the future. But you get more out of your $10, which is not a bad thing. No-one was ever able to buy it for $5, except in your mind.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In all fairness to the point you are making, both the Tech and General written tests are both considered "easy" by FCC(*). ;)

(*) ...that would be the group to whom the titular petition is directed.

WA3VJB likes this.
  3. K7JEM

Techs are already on HF, this is just an expansion of those privileges. And yes, you get more privileges for the same test. Same as generals got more privileges when 630M, 2200M, 60M, 30M, 12M, and 17M were added to their bands. I didn't hear anyone complaining about added benefits then, but there is much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth now.

KD5OGU likes this.
  4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not at all. As a benefits-measured license, a newcomer faces a less challenging test to get on HF, in the form of the proposed Technician Class, such that it would become. Less challenging than the tests for the two upper-class licenses that now offer HF.

We now are in a loop, OM. Good luck. & C ya

5. K7JEM

I'm not commenting about how hard or easy the tests are. To me, they are extremely simple. But the easiness or difficulty is not being changed by this petition.

6. WA3VJB

I'm with ya there!

7. K7JEM

No, techs already have HF. The test is no more difficult or easy than it was 10 years ago, and this petition doesn't change that. I think you need to realize that techs already have access to HF on many bands, they are just limited to one mode. So, it is not about "access to HF", since that already exists. It is about "access to meaningful privileges".

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The level of difficulty of any given element is not being changed.

The net amount of effort and knowledge a newcomer has to exhibit in order to get HF digimodes and voice privileges on wavelengths longer than 10m certainly is being changed.

9. WA3VJB

Thank you. Wish I had your magic.

10. K7JEM

Yes, that is correct. That is the point of the petition. Offer some meaningful modes on HF, as an incentive for licensees to remain active.

KD5OGU likes this.