RM-11828: FCC invites comments on ARRL petition to give Technicians HF phone privileges.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K4KYV, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Those so obsessed with the lack of youth in amateur radio are probably of our generation. They still relate to the way it was when they were first licensed: in their teens or early 20s. Excitement about science and technology (largely primitive by to-day's standards), spurred by the national panic over Sputnik. They still have that mental image of how amateur radio should be: hordes of teenagers studying for the licence exams and working each other on CW. Fossilised recollections; idealising what it was like in the day, in denial of what it's actually like now. Like that cute girl you had a crush on in high school. Something jogs your memory of her and you immediately see the image as you remember her back then, not the frumpy senior citizen with grey hair, wrinkles and a half dozen grandkids, and who may not be in the best physical and possibly mental health.

But there's another side to the story. Many of us who became licensed as adolescents stayed with the hobby for a few years, and then dropped out as life got in the way. Money, university, jobs, courtship, marriage, career, children, mortgage, divorce, etc. Now, it's older people nearing retirement who have the money and leisure time to pursue hobbies like amateur radio. Volunteer examiners report that candidates sitting for the tests are now largely middle aged and older. And you run into a lot of people who say they were licensed as kids but let their ticket expire, and developed a renewed interest in their older years and became re-licensed. So we still have a demographic that stays with amateur radio for a few years and then disappears. They are at the other end of the timeline, and there are not as many.

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The tally of Comments is now over 900.

In years past, in other proceedings, the ARRL's attorney has counted them up and submitted a Reply Comment that allows the group's lawyer to interpret and draw conclusions that always point to generalized support for the League's position. The FCC staff, by comparison, rarely has accepted a numerical "for" and "against" in its deliberations, instead prefering to cite Comments that the agency accepts as illustrating a consensus on the matter at hand.

In my subsequent Reply Comment, in times past, I have found it useful to, myself, pick through the Comments that support my point of view, and also to cite Comments that generally "fail to understand" why my point of view is correct. This is the strategy the League's counsel has used, hi.

Pointing out one of the latest filings:

Nice & concise, Phillip.
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/103311655600246/Response to RM-11828.pdf

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. A comment that doesn't mention CB, Winlink, or "more money for the ARRL". Although I don't agree with some of what he stated, it is well done, and doesn't dip into emotional "knee jerk" responses.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course most thinking folks realize that the ARRL is all about the money FIRST.

5. K7JEM

That could be. However, it is a "killing the messenger" type of argument. It implies that the idea may actually be good, but because it was proposed by someone who is despised, it is now a bad idea.

IOW, it carries no weight in a logical examination of the petition.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I commented strictly for the forum and have made no comments to the FCC.

AC0OB and K7JEM like this.
  7. K7JEM

I understand that. But an inordinate amount of posts to the FCC site say similar things. Those posts need to be serious, if they want to be taken seriously. That was the point of my previous post. The comments linked to were pretty good, even if I do not agree with most of what was said in them.

8. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

THE big problem, what is it?
    Lack of hams? Afaik, technically there are more hams licensed now, than when I was a novice
    in the late 1960s. Less on the air activity. So, nope, that's not it.

No, it's not that people are getting older, or that radio is "old". This is true,
    but people still do carpentry, right? Build boats? Etc.

These ARRL promulgated proposals are solutions seeking a problem, imho.

The REAL PROBLEM, as WA3VJB noted, is pathetically bad, horrific, stagnant
    MARKETING and PROMOTION by the ARRL.

Aka, they have no clue how to do this.
    They've been recycling the same stuff essentially for 75 years.
    Nothing wrong with the basic magazines, just that these are NOT the means by
    which a hobby, or anything else generates interest.

You want people getting interested in operating, interested in the hobby?
    FIRST they have to KNOW ABOUT THE HOBBY!!
    The ones who are in, they need things that motivate. The ARRL does not
    know how to do either.

Someone with their head looking up and around would be able to see how it is
    done with other hobbies and activities, and just copy with slight modifications.
    Why the ARRL has not done this, ever?
    You tell me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    AB2RA and AC0OB like this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points. Actually when I was in high school, there wasn't a stampede of kids into ham radio, even then. It was more like a minority of the class, perhaps 5 to 10% who were interested in scientific technical stuff. Some also shot off rockets, flew model airplanes, besides radio. But that small percentage nationwide was enough to keep things rolling. This was before computing technology got all the teenagers ga ga leaving the previous hobbies behind. By the way, all the hobbies are dying off: model racing, model anything, wood working, fishing, hunting, car restoration...go to a classic car show and look around. Except for the cars, you'll think you're at a hamfest.

AB2RA likes this.
  10. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

And I have read submittals to the FCC supporting the extended privileges that seem to argue from emotion rather than facts. Summarizing some of these supporting comments, the support runs something like this: "I support this proposal because I will get extended privileges in my license class..." without any consideration on the effect of other classes of licensees, or whether certain emission modes have been excluded, or whether interference from digital modes may have on interference issues, or the fact that I may need to do a bit more study to educate myself for these extended privileges.

While I think many may be arguing from emotion, it is their RIGHT to do so and I for one am thankful for the ECSF system in which people involved in the hobby can express their views, whatever their level of education.

Pheel

AB2RA likes this.