RM-11828: FCC invites comments on ARRL petition to give Technicians HF phone privileges.

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am wondering if part of the ARRL's "hidden agenda" might be related to advertising? An increase in new amateurs could potentially have a direct relation to the number of plastic radios sold by the big three. As long as digital and sideband modes are licensed in the privileged sub-bands, the radios will sell, AM is of course not a concern to the advertisers.

As to the age group of new licensees, I have seen both middle aged folks and younger folks become licensed at the VE sessions. We recently had a group of boy scouts test for technician at our VE session, and several opted to try for general right after passing the tech. They came very close to passing, as their studies covered many of the theory and regulation issues in the question pool. They were excited about coming back soon and upgrading. Study and test is the way to do it, such that they are armed with the knowledge appropriate to operate properly with the new privileges. There is absolutely no need, and no benefit, to offering the new privileges without the study and validation through the testing process. If scouts in high school can do it, there is nothing wrong with the process as it stands today.

AB2RA likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's significant about this is the League's years of propaganda reassuring members and the amateur community about numbers at an all-time high, numbers soaring and our healthy growth rate, then turning round and telling the FCC that growth has been stagnating for the past 20-plus years, insufficient to sustain the service. Oceania is at war with Eurasia. Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

The real problem is the average age of hams, now in the 60s and climbing. Nearly every month even on this forum we hear that yet another well-known AMer is gone SK. Very soon, a very substantial, even record growth rate, sprinkled with a few younger newcomers isn't going to catch up with attrition. Notice how quiet 75m and 160m have been the past couple of seasons, compared to just a few years ago?

We don't need or even want explosive growth, and the current relief from congestion and curtailed obsession with "bandwidth" is kind of nice. Holding onto at least our HF spectrum isn't so much a problem; nobody else wants it, so our main fight right now is spectrum pollution/RFI and the HOA plague. But we don't want to see the amateur community going the way of WWII vets these days, either.

AB2RA likes this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Techs already are authorized HF phone and data privileges at 200 watts on 10M. They are also authorized CW on 80, 40, and 15. Since they are already "qualified" for HF on both data and SSB modes, and are authorized the other bands on CW, what additional testing do you think needs to be done to qualify them to "operate properly" on other HF bands? If the current test is sufficient for access to the bands, why would additional testing be needed?

AC0GT likes this.
  4. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

This ->
    The only testing needed, IMHO, is on a rules change. Change the rules on privileges granted, because all the theory is identical, then change those handful of questions in the pool on what frequencies they can operate legally.

I would say the same for offering full Amateur spectrum privileges for those holding Advanced and General. They've been tested on this already. Slicing and dicing up the bands to produce an "incentive" is a very stupid idea. It is far beyond the time to dispose of it and simplify the licensing, assuming it had any value to begin with.

I upgraded from Technician to Extra relatively quickly. I found it idiotic to be tested on my operating privileges only to have to essentially forget them later to learn new limits on my license. Sure, knowing the operating privileges of each license has some value but there would be more value in keeping this very very simple for both the operator and those tasked with enforcing the rules. We should not need a color coded chart to know where each license class can operate.

5. AB2RA

AB2RA Ham Member QRZ Page

A petition merging Advanced and Extra has recently been shut down by the FCC. Unlikely that they will accept General too. Slicing and dicing is "incentive licensing" which is an ARRL idea that FCC approved around 1970. "We've always done it that way". Its working. I like my shiny chart. It tells me where my Extra privileges are. Everywhere. Nice.

NOT the case that "all the material is identical." Study the material, including General Question Pool G2E02(B), G2E03(D), G2E07(A), G2E09(C), G2E10(D), G2E12 (C), G8C06 (B), G8C07 (B), G8C01(B), G1E05(C), G1E11(C), G1E12(A), G1E13(D), which cover essential modern HF digital communications procedures. NOTE: NOT on Tech exam.

NOT the case that "all the material is identical." Otherwise, the people coming to the VE sessions I work at would get Extra at their Tech test sessions. Some try for General without study and fail the test. If all the material was identical, they would pass. The question pools are different for each license class.

Pass the test. Enjoy your new privileges on the shiny chart. Just like the FCC told everybody the last time this was brought up.

We don't need people that eat Tide Pods on a dare in amateur radio. Pass the test.

Or if you are unhappy with your privileges and don't want to study or can't pass the test, file a petition with the FCC and ask for more free stuff for Generals and Advanced or whoever you think will support your free stuff initiative.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    WZ5Q, AC0OB and W8KHK like this.
  6. K7JEM

None of those questions were on my tech or extra exam, so I guess I am not qualified to do modern data modes, either. Thirteen questions in the pool equates to ONE question on the test, which most people could skip or miss, and still pass the test.

7. AB2RA

If its that easy:
    Study the material. Take the test. Pass the test. Enjoy your EARNED STUFF.

W8KHK and WZ5Q like this.
  8. K7JEM

I never had any of these questions, is it legal for me to use these modern modes? Or only those people who have actually had one of these questions on the test, and got it right?

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it's legal. It is assumed that once you pass the test and get operating privileges, you will pick up on new modes and new technology that comes along if it interests you enough to use it.

Amateur radio is non-essential enough, that the public interest does not compel the expense and inconvenience of continuing education, unlike with teachers, airline pilots and doctors.

W8KHK, AC0OB, AB2RA and 2 others like this.
  10. AB2RA

97.1 (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art. (Like learning FT8. Its called SELF TRAINING. But you also have to have the technical background to do so, demonstrated by EARNING the PRIVILEGES.)
    (d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts. (Like studying the information, taking the test, passing it, and enjoying your new EARNED PRIVILEGES.)
    FREE STUFF doesn't motivate anyone to learn anything except how to whine for more free stuff.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    AC0OB likes this.