rlps30m switching supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W9WQA, Jun 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

ordered from r n l on monday, got it wed !! found in my mailbox,package looked too small,too light
    for 30 amps. opened it up,it really looked small, cant work huh?

checked my 7300 setup first then switched to the switcher. i like the fast meter,well lite so i dont need the "too" brite green led. covered it with tape.

keyed on rtty into a dummy, about 17 amps,meter is small but ok. voltage doesnt budge. didnt read with digital but power is same as other supplies, solid.

tuned around all hf bands, i hear ZERO noise from this tiny supply.'
    did i say small.?
    its the first supply i ever used that was smaller than my radios, abour like the icom 7000, smaller than the 7300.
    fan is ok by me.
    i dont do long term 100w but in testing it showed no heat.

in one word, terrific, i like it.
    oh at 99 bucks shipped its a cheap extra backup, grab one...

weighs a couple pounds

2. W9WQA

oops,rlps30s, thats r "ell" ps, my bad typing finger...

3. W9WQA

oops again, my only gripe on most power supplies, this one ; they dont space bannana jacks at 3/4 inch for double plugs,,,booo.
    i often drill and fix that...

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is good that the switcher power supply does not make noise on the ham bands. Power supply likely has 30+ millivolts AC ripple on the output. That will not damage your radio. Personally, I prefer Astron RS-35A with less than 5 millivolts AC ripple and no possibility of switching noise. Cost $80 more than your power supply. It produces 35 amperes output.

You state ordered from RNL (never heard of that business), but what brand is the power supply?

5. W9WQA

there is an ad running here ,just to the left of these words. its for a 7300 and rlps30s for $1029. looks like r "and l " thats all i can tell you, look...
    i clicked that ad and found the power supply in question and ordered it. got it 2 days later.
    i also have a astron 35 and other supplies. the astron is the only one that gets funny when i transmit on a long wire. it dont like ham radio rf!! otherwise its rock solid in regulation into a cantenna.
    the switcher is quiet,solid, and "tiny"

6. W9WQA

there is an ad running here ,just to the left of these words. its for a 7300 and rlps30s for $1029. looks like r "and l " thats all i can tell you, look...
    i clicked that ad and found the power supply in question and ordered it. got it 2 days later.
    i also have a astron 35 and other supplies. the astron is the only one that gets funny when i transmit on a long wire. it dont like ham radio rf!! otherwise its rock solid in regulation into a cantenna.
    the switcher is quiet,solid, and "tiny"

7. W9WQA

sorry, 2x, sometime i just cannot delete...

N9KGC likes this.
  8. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got two of them, like them very much. Nice footprint.
    1st one with the package deal from R&L with my ts590sg that Santa got me. (i'm santa)
    2nd with the 7300 package deal from R&L my Wife got me for Valentines day.

N9KGC likes this.
  9. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not found RLPS30S. But, the RLPS30M is available from R&L.

10. W9WQA

amazing isnt it ,that misspelling will get it right huh...