ad: Schulman-1

Rising RF Noise Levels - IARU submits paper to CISPR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. EI3IBB

EI3IBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm fortunate to live in a very quiet location in the sticks apart from some occasional QRM from an electric pole.

This issue of poorly designed electronics isn't going to get resolved, 99.9% of the population couldn't care less about some HAMs in shacks listening to all that static and noise and the electronics makers know this and legislators know this and they themselves are not HAMS and probably never even heard of Shortwave, if it doesn't effect TV viewing and internet nobody is going to do anything about it.

2. W7WSL

W7WSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a reference or a link to an article that uses an SDR to track down RFI?

3. W7WSL

W7WSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have an article to recommend, or a link, that talks about using an SDR to track down RFI?

4. N3KE

N3KE Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent over a decade doing interference hunting across the United States and even internationally using "dedicated RFI finding equipment" that cost "tens of thousands of dollars" (and sometimes even more). And I can say with complete confidence that when it comes to interference hunting tools, you very much get what you pay for. :)

N3KE likes this.
  6. N3KE

N3KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh I absolutely agree for sure in the practical sense. The dedicated tools are far easier to use and these days have vast capabilities. When I said “years past” I meant many years past. 10 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth (not swept) with an arbitrarily long integration period wasn’t something really available in a portable setup 30 years ago. Now it costs next to nothing. The hobbyist though is going to have to make do with cobbling together software tools really meant for other tasks. The software/firmware IP in dedicated equipment is very expensive for a reason - it saves a professional endless hours.

PY2NEA and KO4LZ like this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I can certainly understand this position. However, historical precedent is that Amateurs ARE expected to perform SOME of the enforcement duties. Radio Amateurs are/were [historically] a 'self policing' group. Especially in respect to the 'reporting' of violators. It just seems now days that Radio Amateurs are more reluctant to report (rat out) violators than they were in the past.

In addition, the ARRL has recently assumed some of the responsibility for enforcement. The ARRL is the 'National Association for Amateur Radio' and (at least in theory) is made up of Radio Amateurs and represents [all] Radio Amateurs regardless of member status. This association makes us all de facto passive enforcers.

So, in the grand scheme of things, it IS reasonable to expect Radio Amateur spectrum users to perform [some] enforcement duties. Those duties being the collection and reporting of the information needed for enforcement. It does NOT mean 'taking the law into your own hands.'

Dan WQ4G

KO4LZ and PY2NEA like this.
  8. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's been an issue for years. The licensed Ham is often required to solve interference issues ignored by manufacturers too "cheap" to properly shield or filter their own products. Because the courts won't held them accountable.