Rigs Containing Internal TNCs

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N8LBF, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8LBF

N8LBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Which radios contain internal (built-in) TNCs for doing VHF or HF packet, please. I have seen a brief mention of the Kenwood TS-2000 with such capability. Are there others? Thank you, Dave, N8LBF

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

For VHF/UHF rigs in current production, there are a couple of Kenwood radios with 1200/9600bps TNC that will do APRS and let you use the TNC for other purposes - the TM-D710GA mobile and the TH-D72A HT. Yaesu has a few radios with TNCs, but are intended only for APRS use - some HTs (VX-8DR, FT-1DR, FT-2DR), and a couple of mobiles (FTM-100DR, FTM-400DR). You can't connect a computer or other device to the radio and make use of the TNC in the Yaesu radios, like you can with the Kenwood radios. For HF packet, I think the TS-2000 is the only option for a radio with built-in TNC.

Good luck, and 73!

3. KA6ACE

KA6ACE Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm not reading the manual incorrectly, the Yaesu Ft-991 has a built in TNC that you can access via the type B USB port. Yaesu has comm emulator software. Unfortunately, I am just now trying to use packet, and Outpost is telling me that the TNC is not responding.

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I downloaded the FT-991 manual. It doesn't appear to have a TNC, but a USB interface so you can use software on a computer to work modes like RTTY, PSK31, etc. with this radio. You could use the FT-991 for packet, but you need packet software on your computer.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why??? External digital interface devices are EVERYWHERE.... for virtually all modes...

Why consider finding a radio with one integrated into it? That seems so "1980s" to me....

Serious question - what is the benefit?

Dave
    W7UUU

[FT-950 with SignaLink for digital modes - NOT internal to the rig]

6. N0VGL

N0VGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well.....a couple of things come to mind: one less piece of equipment to buy and sit on the bench, one less cable running to/from the rig, one less thing to have to troubleshoot if you can't get things to work right. The benefit being this is the new technology and the idea of plug and play is pretty attractive to new age amateur operators. There may be a day when we don't even need a computer to work the digital modes! Computers are already integral with radio re: the SDRs. It will never end:cool:

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why SDR? Anything modern with a keypad and display has as much a computer as a radio with SDR.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave asked why the included TNC- Here is one reason that the post originator (N8LBF) may already know ( or not ). The best reason is that if you have a built-in TNC, there is no audio level matching nor worries about ground loops. Furthermore, not every tech has a deviation meter to ensure that his FM deviation is within limits. Now you can patch together a system and do what some folks do: rely on others for a critique or service monitor evaluation of your signal. But that is almost bordering on 'LID' behavior. For a description of a purpose-built deviation meter for TNCs, try www.timewave.com. It may be one ( of many reasons ) to keep the TNC and radio as one 'factory' unit. 73

9. N8LBF

N8LBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all that have responded. UUU seems very intent to understand my motives for asking, so here it is: I am struggling with understanding how to interface and get working TNC's with computers and radios, ESPECIALLY when the TNC and user manual are decades old (I saw a page in a Kam Plus user manual about connecting the TNC to a Commodore 64 ... and fainted right there. I had a Comm 64 a hundred years ago, but I struggle with translating such interface instructions to my Windows 7 laptop today).. My thinking was this - if I can understand how to interface and use a modern TNC with a modern computer, such as might be the case with a rig containing an internal TNC, then I could take a step towards understanding that interface. Right now, I am struggling with understanding how a terminal emulation program - like PuTTY - can help me interface a Kam + or a PK-232mbx to my laptop so that I too can do Packet and PACTOR. Oh, and I'm too cheap to fork over $150 to cssincorp (?), the suppliers of HRD, for their packet interface software.

I'm working my way to better understanding, but this computer stuff still beguiles me. Thanks again to all that offered constructive comments.

Dave

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If I could see the user manual, and how it connects to a C64, I could probably help you with connecting it to something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.