Rig Storage and Moving Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4MTB, Sep 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am getting ready to move soon and plan on having to put the shack in storage.
    Any recommendations on the proper cardboard boxes and packaging?
    I looked at the ULine catalog and got confused with all the different spec boxes.

K4AGO and YD2SEP like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If not TOO old, the original boxes (which needed to survive normal shipping) would be best; most consist of "double boxing" for added protection.
    For light to moderate weight (≈ 25 lb +/-, or less,) fragile equipment, bubble wrap may be needed. Choose SMALLER boxes for things like books and manuals; while you CAN fit a lot in even "banker box" sizes, the WEIGHT may be near impossible to carry without physical damage, either to the container:mad:, yourself, :(or both:eek:. (Don't ask how I know...:rolleyes:)

Hope the move doesn't require LONG term storage; and good luck.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just something the rats and mice can't chew through!! I know my garage is thoroughly ravaged by rats! When Sue and I cleaned it out, I bought dozens of Plastic tubs with lids and put much of the salvaged junk in there.

K0UO and N8TGQ like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How long and where are you talking about storage?

5. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The shack might be in storage for 3-4 months. Unfortunately, most of the gear is heavy, an Icom IC-781, R-9000, IC-970 and a Collins S Line & KWM2 with a pair of 30l1's.
    Most of the other "stuff" is going in plastic storage tubs.
    The while thing needs to make the trip from the current QTH (NYC) to the new QTH , possibly Virginia.
    We're undecided as to load and drive our self or hire it out. With the exitus from NYC, rental trucks and movers are hard to get.

6. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plastic storage containers.

KR4YON likes this.
  7. KD3PC

KD3PC Ham Member QRZ Page

we made the trip from middle TN to VA this time last year and had things stored for several months on the VA end. I used original boxes as much as possible. I hand loaded a couple of computers and a rig or two. We did the container storage as it was dry, rodent and bug proof and being in the rural part of the state, easy to get and get to.

You need dry and resistant to critters at a minimum.

8. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Buy desiccant packs for each box. I moved 12 years ago and some things, like my TS-520, are still in their boxes.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought plastic boxes for my cross country move. Buy stackable ones and you'll use them for years

KR4YON and KP4SX like this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with plastic tubs/storage containers.