Rig + Linux + flrig?

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by AC7UL, Jan 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC7UL

AC7UL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to operate my IC-706 MkIIG from a Linux laptop. I have a CT-17 / CI-V / USB cable from the rig to the laptop, and flrig software running. Does ANYONE have a similar enough setup to suggest what settings I need to make them work together? The best outcome would be to adjust the rig via flrig and have the rig display follow to match. Suggestions? And thanks in advance. Been a ham since 1969 ... but we weren't doing this back then!

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have my settings close at hand, but there shouldn't be any issue. I have a USB to RS-232 Serial Port converter cable connected to a home brew interface, that talks to my IC-735. It works fine with HRD, Flrig, Fldigi, and any other software.

The IC-706 MkIIG Set Item 29 will tell you the current communication speed. The default is 9600 baud. Just make sure that Flrig is set to the same speed and that the correct rig name is selected. Page 45 of your user manual will give you a listing of the possible commands.

You should note that, you can not set the radio into transmit with with a CI-V command. This is common with ICOM command structures. If you need to set the radio into transmit, you will need a small interface to toggle PTT from the RS-232 RTS signal (IIRC). In my setup, I use a separate USB to RS-232 Serial Port converter and interface to toggle PTT and direct CW keying. Fldigi does not have direct CW Keying, but other software does.

I have been a ham since 1965. However, I found that configuring and operating digital modes is the easiest thing I ever did in amateur radio.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you wanting to use flrig with fldigi? Or just flrig by itself? Unless you need flrig specifically, I would suggest that you use the CAT functionality built directly into fldigi, rather than running both. Flrig tends to be a little buggy, especially on Linux.

Either way, the biggest step is to figure out what the name of the serial port is. If you have a USB serial converter, the easiest thing is to unplug the USB device, then plug it back in, and run 'dmesg' to see what device name was assigned. Once you know that, you have everything needed to configure the serial settings as Martin described.

I have run both flrig and fldigi on all kinds of Linux, including RasPi. It's not difficult once you know the serial port name.

4. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with KK5JY. Dispense with Flrig and use Fldigi with CAT control via Hamlib.