Rig in a Bag on a Boat

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KE5ZFG, Jun 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KE5ZFG

KE5ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm putting together a portable rig so I can pack it into my kayak, paddle up river and set up camp. I have a lawn-tractor battery with a solar charging setup (charge controller and panel from ebay) and an Icom IC-728 and tuner to go in dry-boxes for transport. I have a 31' fiberglass sectional twist-lock wire antenna which breaks down to less than 4' for travel. This fits on top of a tripod with an 11' extension giving me an antenna that sticks up 42' into the air from my campsite that can fit into my kayak. I put all of this together at my recent HamCon and I'm kinda excited about it.

I'm wondering who else does something similar and what suggestions, tips or advice they may have for putting something like this together.

Pics, anecdotes, packing ideas and suggestions, whatever.

Anyone?

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

While boating around the Gulf Islands in Southern British Columbia a few years back, wandered past a guy on the beach. Saw that he had a BuddiPole up in the air so I had to go chat with him. He was a VE7 call which I don't remember. He was sea kayaking to Alaska. His kayak was a bit bigger than I had ever seen. He had a long nylon water resistant bag for the BuddiPole which he tied outside of the boat on one of the gunwales. His radio was a K3. The radio, sealed AGM 12VDC battery, small solar cell panel and key fit very nicely into a larger waterproof camera bag. As I recall, this bag sold at West Marine Products and was designed to protect cameras, cell phones etc. from getting wet. He stored this inside of the kayak hull while paddling. Really a very nice set up!
    You might check out West Marine Products on the web. Pretty big chain and they are all around the US.

3. KE5ZFG

KE5ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds awesome. I'd love to paddle up to Alaska. That's a serious bucket list item.

Thanks for the information and good ideas.

4. 2E0TZX

2E0TZX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use 'dry sacks' for my radio gear, only camping and hiking though, not in kayak.

5. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

A wet cell battery is probably not the best for knocking around in a boat! Otherwise, it sounds like fun.

6. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

GM vertical 20-40m-label.jpg "In a bag in a boat" would you QSO in a moat? Sounds like Dr Seuss (o:

I have been wanting to do this myself. I want to borrow a canoe or kayak to go out to some of the islands in the lakes around here. I would use my 18 AH SLA battery to power my Alinco DX-70TH set to the low power setting where I could operate 5 or 50 watts. I would probably use my ground mounted vertical since it has served me well on other portable expeditions. The vertical just sticks into the ground so no tripod in needed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    KE0RG likes this.