Rig for RV

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by K6JEA, Sep 11, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6JWZ

W6JWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

any updates... did you buy a 5er or TT, what HF/VHF/UHF rig did you select and install. PICs PICs

2. K6JEA

K6JEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ordered the truck. 3500 Ram Cummins DRW.

Going in tomorrow to place the order on a 44' DRV fifth wheel. The model we picked has a built in desk so I will be able to take one of my existing radios. Probably the 590SG.

There is about a 3 month wait on both of them. If there is any interest, I'll post a couple of pics when I get set up.

KN4SKF likes this.
  3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Update to the update: I still have the FT450D on the bureau shelf in the bedroom. The MFJ antenna controller is on the wall next to shelf. Antenna is now a Tarheel 100 mounted to the RV ladder. The huge news is that I have installed a MFJ ALS-600 amp and power supply in the "basement" cubbie. That is directly under the bedroom shelf/xcvr and all cables run within the bureau and behind drawers...very neat, wife approved, installation. The amp is remote controlled and I have also wired two 120V outlets in the cubbie. One for the amp, one for the xcvr PS and 12V for the Tarheel. They are fed via a separate cord to the power pedestal (out the cubbie bottom of the cubbie) therefore bypassing the RV electronics and other equipment. Even put a coax switch on the wall right next to bureau in hopes of more than 1 antenna and at least access to the dummy load (also in cubbie). How's it work? Great! So good in fact that I am having trouble justifying another vertical, etc. Of course we are full-timing and stationary but the only thing I'd have to dismantle would be the antenna if we move (not expected). I get about 90% answers when I call a DX station...they can't believe I'm in an RV with a Tarheel...of course the 500+ watts helps! I am very pleased with setup...very straightforward and with the remote wattmeter and amp controller I have everything right in front of me and 600 watts to boot! WhooHoo!

4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a Yaesu FT-450 in my Casita. I put it on the table and the 100A battery and solar charger sit on the floor below. I have several antennas that I can use depending on how long I plan to be out. I like working portable while in remote locations where the noise floor is low. If the weather is nice I will set up outside.
    WD5IKX portable FT-450-label.jpg

John WD5IKX

W7EDC and K7WFM like this.
  5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a FT-857 with the transceiver box and ATU mounted under the forward dinette seat.
    I like having just two small cables routed to the head unit instead of the bulky coax and power cord.

If I had to chose a rig again, it would be the TS-480 which has a better receiver. I never use VHF/UHF.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always get a cheap VHF/UHF handheld for $30 bucks and then you have it all.

In the RV I have installed a VHF Motorola Maratrac. It's 99 channels and 100 watts. It's all the VHF capability I will ever need in an RV. Cheap to get these rigs at the hamfests. I think I picked this one up for $35.

Anyways it also receives all the NOAA weather channels too which is helpful when camping in an RV, so it serves a dual purpose.

What I like about the Maratrac is the main tranciever box is mounted out of the way under the sink and the control head, mic and speaker can be mounted on the wall which saves on counter top / desktop space.

[​IMG]

K7WFM likes this.
  7. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

We're presently on the road for a couple of weeks and used a Boafang HT to listen to the NWS in Big Sky, MT --to understand how/if the Winter Weather Advisory would be impacting us IN SEPTEMBER. We were okay at 6200' ASL. Good idea about having the 100W FM transceiver along. I will look for a working Maratrac at the next hamfest and find a good place to mount one.

Posting from The Worlds First Atomic Powered City-- Arco, Idaho.
    DSCN1908sm.jpg

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you are really enjoying yourself. Good for you..:)

9. K5XIT

K5XIT Ham Member QRZ Page

The 480 HX is a good rig, I have one in a pickup, daily driver and another in the motor coach. With a good antenna such as the Hi Q you will have no problems getting a signal out. Just make sure the loading coil is above the roof of the vehicle.

K0UO likes this.
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page