Rig Expert Stick 230 a disappointment?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KW, Nov 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I bought a reservation for the new, much anticipated, Rig Expert Stick 230, which has just been released and will reach stores soon. Um, well, it’s a disappointment for me. The display on the Chinese Youkits analyzer is about the same size and is 10 times better...and it’s cheaper! Come on RigExpert. I expected more. Will it be accurate? Likely. But, if I’m going to spend $300, it has to have a display worthy of 2020 technology. Really a fail in my book. I’ll pass. The Zoom 55 I guess will have to be my pick. It’s not as small, and I would have appreciated the form factor of the Stick, but at least it’s a color display and high resolution.

Bummer.

Judge for yourself:

https://rigexpert.com/products/antenna-analyzers/stick-230/users-manual/

Wes
    WM7WM

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't you know that before the reservation?

This is a BlueTooth device and also has AntScope2 software on androids and smartphones.

BTW, I have a zoom 55 and , its a great tool. you should like it

VK6ZGO likes this.
  3. W3KW

The manual on the Rig Expert website wasn't available when I first saw the new Stick. I was so excited that I might have everything I wanted in a small, well made, package. Alas, I don't want Bluetooth and two devices to manage. I just want a real display on the Stick.

The AA-55 Zoom does look fantastic. I may go with the AA-230 Zoom, though. Thanks.

Wes
    WM7WM

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you aren't willing to take a chance with your cash, then it might be best not to be an early adopter.

People who are careful with their spending (like me) wait for the people with lots of free cash to write reviews of a product, first. :)

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what E-Ham is for... LOL

Ed

KK5JY likes this.
  6. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I always pass on "bleeding edge" technology. Let someone else take the plunge and see how they fare. Some folks, however, are like surfers: gotta ride that wave no matter what. :)

7. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

When you're at the cutting edge of technology it is wise to make sure you're the one holding the handle.

K5WY likes this.
  8. W3KW

Update: I decided to bite the bullet and put my reservation at HRO to use. I bought the Stick and actually, it’s pretty darn nice. Would I have wanted a color display? Yes. But, the paper display is very readable. The manual, however, is terrible. It’s only web based and doesn’t print well. There isn’t a full PDF file for download like the other RigExpert models. If you find one, please let me know. (There is no supplied manual)

The Bluetooth will only talk to an ANDROID platform. There is NO iPhone app for iOS.
    The free software from RigExpert works nicely and blasts a nice display across my large monitor. I ran an analysis of my Carolina windom and the results were as expected. One thing I learned is that my windom is 6:1 on 30m and only 3:1 on 160. My LDG auto tuner can easily tune 30m’s but quits when I attempt 160m’s. So odd.

Anyway, the screen is a bit tiny, but you get a nice little form factor that works from one 18650 battery. My battery was ruined when I brought the stick home and would not take a charge. It powered up in the store, albeit showing little charge remaining. I attempted to charge it using the supplied cable but nothing. Luckily, I keep plenty 18650’s around and after replacing it, the Stick fried right up.

Wes
    WM7WM