Rig control/Logging software for FTDX-101, where to start?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1VAU, Nov 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YES I know there's a forum section for software, I searched there first and almost nothing came up for the FTDX-101.

I've never used rig control or logging software that connected to the radio. I don't know where to start.

Who has experiance and would recommend such for the FTDX-101? I sure will appreciate some good advice, thank you.

2. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Free contest programs from the contesting community will work.
    N1MM is the the most comprehensive package in free freeware - and will even get up and make coffee for you in the morning, uhh wait, no that's only my wish :D (sigh)
    And there is CT, NA, TRlog, SD (super duper}
    Some of these are DOS programs and will not do CAT control. They all will keep a log for you. I have not used some in over a decade. SO you need to do your homework.

Then in the plz "bleed my wallet" bunch there is HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe} I used it unti;l they went for my jugular, err wallet. Haven't touched it in years so no recommendations

I would suggest you start with SD (super Duper) Free. Bare bones. Will talk to the CAT in your radio. Will keep a log. Will control a WinKey and a voice keyer. Far less hassle to get running than N1MM and will be on my screen for CQWW coming up.

I have N1MM. It has to have virtual com ports and virtual sound lines to work (pia imho) It has more bells-n-whistles than SD. I may go back to it because I like BNW.

Have fun :p

N1VAU likes this.
  3. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, and I forgot to mention that there is a virtual com/sound ports download for your radio from the manufacturer that may be less hassle than what I am doing with my flex.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on what you want:

Contest logging and some rig control? N1MM

Day to day/multipurpose log and some rig control? N3FJP

Does everything including full rig control, digital modes (except FT8), logging (but not very good for contest logging), rotor control, etc. Ham Radio Deluxe.

N1MM is free and the other two are very reasonably priced. I use HRD day to say, N1MM for contests, and N3FJP for some activities like Field Day.

Best thing I ever did? Stop using the old free version of Ham Radio Deluxe and upgrade to the inexpensive commercial version of today.

:)

N1VAU and N3AWS like this.
  5. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What are some of the key differences between free HRD and the paid version that you like?

6. W4NNF

Numerous new features, stuff that got broken over the years like spots and solar data working, labels working, excellent support. I could go on. I've been with the new version for four years I believe. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll throw in DXLab, I have been running it for several years and it works great. N1MM hands down for contests, after which I import to DXLab and upload directly to LotW from within DXlab. FTDX-10, FTDX-101 are on the supported list.

N1VAU likes this.
  8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So I guess they haven't blacklisted you?

9. W4NNF

Nope. Nor anyone I know. Five stars to WA9PIE for a great product and excellent support. :)

10. W4NNF

DXLab is excellent. If I didn't have HRD, I could easily use DXLab for everything. :)

N1VAU likes this.