Richard T. Knadle, Jr, K2RIW Reported SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Apr 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2ILP

W2ILP Ham Member QRZ Page

I will always remember Dick, K2RIW because his RIW callsign was my initials (Robert I Wexelbaum). I never tried to get a vanity call but became W2ILP and found lots of ways to use ILP with my own phonetics. Isolated Lonely Pandemic would do for today. I disagreed with some of Dicks's opinions about automobile and aircraft recalls as well as his belief that fluttering birds in open cages on a moving vehicle would not reduce their Newtonian mass. Like Dick, I was interested in antenna design, and like Dick, I liked being a teacher. I taught transistor courses to Navy technicians, using a network analyzer to train Air Force ECM Operators, and a Calculus course for company technicians while at Loral as a field service engineer. When I worked for Collins Rockwell I taught a course on the repair of automatic antenna couplers to Israeli engineers. After being laid off by Grumman, the Dept of Labor suggested that I prepare to be a teacher. I went to Dowling College and earned an MS in Ed. This required getting experience working as a student-teacher.
    I could not get any high-school in Suffolk County that would give me a chance to be a student-teacher for free until I finally got a chance to work at LaSalle Military Academy in Oakdale, assisting an elderly Physics teacher. After graduating I got a job teaching at a vocational school but it did not last for long because it depended on getting funded by the federal govt and the students finding employment. To make a long story short Dowling College is now bankrupt and LaSalle has been disenfranchised due to conflicts of NYS laws, such as prohibiting students from carrying military sabers in schools where there are students from Mexico, Japan, and Korea, as well as coed classes of Catholic kids in grades 1 to 8 from Long Island. Here I have spoken too much about myself when I should be eulogizing Mr. Knadle. I think that we appreciated each other in more ways than most might understand. We wanted to teach and we did it without getting paid anything for our efforts. Yep... We were both good for nothing.

K8JA and K2XT like this.
  2. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeh, I had a season pass to equinox in the earl sixties [$10]..OVS & I observed QRM from greyloch on the tv in the bar up there..

K8JA likes this.
  3. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

RIW ON EQINOX....1971

Attached Files:

K8JA likes this.
  4. KN4SM

KN4SM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just by chance checked the SK list today and saw an old friend Dick K2RIW SK I used a quad his famous 70cm antennas from FM16 in the late 70's -80's Also used his 432 amp. for years. I will have to go back into my very old logs of the early 60's to see when I may have worked Dick from my first QTH in Ithaca, NY early 60's (I was a kid lic. '58 @ 11 .

K8JA likes this.