Rice boxes on AM - Icom 7300?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8EJO, Apr 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I use both old and new radio equipment and I love it all. Both have their quirks and as usual
    technical needs that require my attention. There are two local hams in our AM group here in Tucson
    that have bought the IC-7300 and both absolutely love them. The radio does have a couple of
    issues that evidently can be remedied via software updates. I really hope that Icom or someone
    can provide an open ended software platform so people can do their own source coding like
    the older Flex software, PowerSDR. Like Philip, I own and use a Flex, mine being the 5000A/2
    which I absolutely love. Every once in a while, it needs to be rebooted which is fine albeit a bit
    of an aggravation when in the middle of a Q. Then again, if you have older radios like Don & myself
    where it's been several weeks of non use and little things creep into them, like rectifiers going
    soft, controls need cleaning etc. All a part of the game, old or new, it doesn't matter.
    No bias here except where it counts... in the modulator and the final.

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I love 'em but rebooting the old tube radios takes a bit longer! :D

N6YW likes this.
  3. WA1HLR

WA1HLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well This is my first posting on this QRZ forum. I host the AM forum at the Boxboro ARRL convention. A number of forums ago the room was getting packed. I started in about AM and audio quality and how many"riceboxes"........... At that moment a number of people toward the back of the room got up and left. I recognized them later as sale reps at the booths in the convention hall. Yep! The Big Three (Yeacomwood) Apparently they were offended by the phrase "rice box" Get over it dude!. I have heard the Icom 7300 on AM. While it does have somewhat better quality than earlier Icom product it still has a way to go. I was underwhelmed.The Boxboro convention is around the corner. I plan to check out the latest burnt offerings the Big Three have to offer.If Icom wants to sell a SDR stand alone radio it must have the same audio capabilities as the other SDR radio manufacturers.
    Tim WA1HnyLR

W2VW and N6YW like this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want a shot at decent AM from a solid state plastic radio you have to go back to the days of analog circuits with discrete parts you can yank out, or bypass, and tap into. The new cigar box rigs nothing but 100 pin chips and firmware you can't do anything with. You're stuck with what you got from the factory. For all practical purposes, it's as if the rig's innards are in epoxy potted modules. It's another step towards the CB-ification of ham radio. Take a look at photos of hams operating portable on one of these National Parks On The Air events. A couple guys with card tables and some dinky boxes, mic, coax...that's about it, and ask yourself if this looks any different from some CB rigs.

And, the latest new low: QST has an article in the September issue on FACEBOOK!! A f!@#$%^article on facebook in a ham magazine? Why? Why? What's happening to our hobby?

5. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Tim
    Good post and welcome aboard.
    It's been stated by others with more experience than I with regards to the 7300 that its present deficiencies in AM could be improved by a software update but I have my doubts.
    However, for the multi purpose operator and ease of deployment, it's a fine radio.
    Earlier this year at the West Coast AMI BBQ, our friend Dennis W6DQ brought his for a demonstration and everyone was very impressed with its receive capabilities including the best noise blanker I have ever used. Weak signal CW was wonderful.
    As for transmit, 4khz is about it. Meh.
    I look forward to getting mine though. It will be fun to use.

6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu FTDx-1200, 3000, and perhaps 991, can be "opened" up to do more than 2.9 KC audio bandwidth via an audio menu setting. The 7300 appears to have it's BW hard limited via the little black, multi-legged, bug things that lurk inside.

You simply cannot get good audio, ie AM acceptable, with the stock hand microphones they are providing with these radios. The hand microphones that come with the current 6000 series Flex radios are simply rebranded Yaesu mobile hand microphones and are impossible to get sounding acceptable.

7. KA4KOE

BTW Thanks Tim for dropping by. I bugged Bill "YW" a few times and he made a couple of emails and he we are now.

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard Ed, KA3PTX on his 7300 and it sounded just like he does in person.
    I have no high frequency hearing left so most rigs sound good to me!

I have no use for 25 watts carrier AM really.
    And for an SDR, I want a BIG screen to look at

9. KA4KOE

25W carrier AM is pure futility unless it's the dead of winter.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Not surprised; I have been flamed more than once for using the term 'plastic radio' on internet forums.