ad: qroparts

Rice boxes on AM - Icom 7300?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8EJO, Apr 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind if they called US made rigs "Hamburgerboxes". I might get hungry, but not offended!

AL7RU, N6YW, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  2. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

K3XR and N6YW like this.
  3. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

As a side note, I was at the QTH of AJ7O in Corona de Tucson yesterday and witnessed another demonstration of the Icom IC-7300.
    I have to say it is quite an amazing radio and for the money is a real game changer in an industry that is plagued by over priced multi kilobuck
    radios. Seemingly over night, the top shelf offerings have been devalued in terms of performance, form factor and features per dollar.
    On AM, it sounds very good seeing how it's limited to a 4khz audio bandwidth, which is fine. I was never concerned with this to begin with, but
    man think about the RX quality when used as an exciter/receiver with a BC or heavy metal TX. It boggles the mind.
    What I love about SDR's is the simplicity of removing unwanted SSB signals on the edges of the carrier, those annoying little slopbucket
    lids who get in the way and poof, they're gone. Much like I do with my Flex 5K, which I truly love.

On net nights, I usually run the Collins R-390/URR with the Bauer or T-368-E. It's a feel good arrangement that is hard to beat... until the morons
    in Texas decide that AM is against their laws of ethics, which by the way, they have none. I break out the digital form of a Swiss Army knife and
    they disappear. I will have to look into this, but the Icom IC-7300 is a direct sampling SDR and being that, I wonder if the sampling rate can be
    changed like my Flex 5K. I run mine at 192 KHZ sampling rate, and then use the synchronous AM mode with both receivers and two 120 watt
    bi-amped studio monitors. You talk about fidelity! I'm not sure the Icom can achieve this but considering what you get and that it's truly portable
    and has that much horsepower under the hood, it's no wonder why guys are selling off their current rigs to get one... myself included.

In terms of audio we need to look at "word length" or the quality in which the sampling rate is heard. The red book standard for CD quality is
    44.1 khz @ 16 bit, or word length. This bit rate is extremely important because it sets the resolution of the sampling rate.
    In other words, this dictates the spacing of the samples or how many samples that can fit within the sampling rate. The difference between 16 and 24
    bit is night and day, and for monitoring any kind of audio, 24 bit is the way to go in digital form.

On DVD's, this standard is 96 khz @ 24 bit, which is absolutely leaps and bounds superior to red book. With current technology, we have sampling
    rates used in recording as high as... you guessed it, 192 khz @ 24 bit, but it's useless because we always have to down sample during mixdown or when
    using audio systems that cannot support these near perfect to analog audio files. Why is this important? Resolution, and resolution is what defines
    great RX audio during periods of demanding performance, like weak signal copy.

I bring this up as a side discussion pertaining to the Icom IC-7300, because we naturally want to explore everything within the confines of radio design,
    even when it's being used as an exciter or as a stand alone AM rig. I look forward to owning a 7300 and because I can be impulsive when purchasing
    an item, I am going to wait a little longer to see if any major bugs pop up on the hardware side of things.
    Bon Vivant!

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The two issues I have with SDR and plastic radios is that I want to be able to fix my own stuff. I know a handful of hams, I think Mike WZ5Q is one of them, who can go into a Kenwood or whatever, and actually fix it down to the surface mount parts. I am not in that group. I have a slim chance of fixing tube gear. To me, it looks more and more like the current crop of plastic radios are closer to throw away consumer electronics. I'm sure they do fabulous things, but give me tubes. Here's a funny side story: Some magazine, it might have been CQ, can't remember, had a photo of some contest op at his operating position. The caption said he was some 5-Land guy and had achieved some big contest deal, like first place, single op category or something in the contest being reported. Here's this guy sitting there smiling, and his station was a keyboard, monitor, mouse, and a couple of little black boxes like black cigar boxes that I think were ham transceivers. To me it was about as impressive as a gamer at an X-box. I bet any non-ham looking at that photo would be completely uninterested, compared to the old days when a shack had Things To SEE that screamed RADIO.

The other issue? Personal--I work on computers all day long and if I had to go home and do that all evening I'd probably barf all over the table.

AL7RU, KD2ACO, WR2E and 1 other person like this.
  5. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I love this response!
    I get it too and you're not the first person who has the same passion about tube rigs. I have that same problem and I am happy to report it!

6. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Set the "TREBLE plus four,set the bass Minus TWO,going into an amp,try out put at 100 watts with no more than 25 watt drive,dont have a scope? Get one it helps,OH if your going to test it before you go live on the air,To avoid that FAMOUS FLEX RADIO AUDIO,do it into a dummy load,now that you got a hunnert watt radio,time for a 1000 watt antennae

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Gather 100 people together, regardless of the topic, and it will inevitably degenerate into an exchange of foaming-at-the-mouth partisan political rants, unless moderated by a no-politics rule.

Some people find the term "plastic radio" offensive. I am not overly fond of "boat anchor" because I recall in the late 60s and early 70s, it usually was a derisive term for big iron and what we often call "heavy metal" equipment like BC-610s and even DX-100s. I can recall by-standers at hamfests sniggering as they saw me lugging something like a modulation transformer to the car, and then someone would remark with a dumb-sounding chuckle, "look. Somebody just found himself a boat anchor yuk yuk".

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup and now those Boat Anchors are sought after....
    I guess too much Plastic Radio Fatigue has set in. ;)

9. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I can relate to that.
    At most of the hamfests down here, I always seem to be the only person hauling big iron and spare parts out to the truck, I bring my own big dolly just for this purpose. You would be amazed at the looks & comments I get as I roll by people with the loaded down dolly. I just tell them I have an "Iron Fetish".

N6YW and AF6LJ like this.
  10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They just don't know what they are missing.