ad: BKQSL-1

Rice boxes on AM - Icom 7300?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W8EJO, Apr 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W8EJO

W8EJO Ham Member QRZ Page

Due to space & mobility issues I am going to sell off my Drake gear & Hammarlund SP 400 & my Viking II & go to one radio that hopefully will perform well on both SSB, CW & AM.

I am intrigued by the new IC-7300. It looks impressive but I don't want it if it sounds bad on AM.

I've read the reviews & watched the YouTube videos but so far I can't find a review or discussion or audio sample of the AM transmit audio.

Has anyone here heard one on AM?

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope someone posts about this. Someone who can measure modulation percentage would be even better.

Lotso DSP radios will not make it past 90% positive modulation. Reminds me of ethanol in gasoline.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Careful, someone's liable to get offended by the word "ricebox". I already offended a few on another forum with the term "plastic radio". And don't even think about uttering "slopbucket".

N6YW likes this.
  4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

well we have RICE ROCKETS (ASIAN motorcycles. American ones are "HOGS")
    And my TOWN CAR is a LAND YACHT, while my wifes TOY-YO-YOTA is a RICE BURNER (actually it runs on UNLEADED, if U put RICE In the gas tank, think things would go DOWNHILL FAST!!!)

5. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. Boatanchor used to be derogatory.

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It might run on sake if you distill it enough! I picked up a Yaesu FT840 to still my AM urges until getting the metal AM stack online. That radio is OK on SSB, but on AM it's really not much fun. The bandwidth is too narrow and it's all bass. The response is from about 100Hz to 2.6kHz or so, so it's muffled and basically unusable to me. All the more incentive to get the Dixie going. The 7300 looks really nice in the glossy pages. It could be great. I'll ask around my pals to see if someone has a unit to try out, or get a report about it.

KG7SMR likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I never liked that term, because I remember back in the late 60s and early 70s at hamfests, in the era when so many hams had been conned into trashing their solid, old, brick-shithouse homebrew and commercially made rigs and replacing them with those flimsy little shoebox size transceivers like Swans, Galaxies and Tempo Ones, you could pick up stuff like kilowatt modulation transformers for $10 and new-in-box triode transmitting tubes like the 250-TH for $5 (they weren't much good for leen-yars). While most other hams were either hauling their heavy metal to the dump or pawning it off for pennies on the dollar at flea markets, I was busy buying up as much as I could haul home. I can remember more than once while lugging something like a BC-610 plate transformer to the car, those jokers standing around on the sidelines chuckling derisively, "hey look, somebody just found himself a BOATANCHOR! yuk yuk".

In the end, now that I have my own private radio warehouse, given how hard that kind of stuff is to find these days and the prices some of it goes for, I think I'm the one who got the last laugh.

VE3PP, W2VW, KC9UDX and 1 other person like this.
  8. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I can vouch for a couple of Japanese radios that do quite well on AM. My FT-1000D is a fine sounding radio on AM. When driving the Alpha 78 amplifier, it produces a formidable signal and the RX isn't too bad either, acceptable. The TS-2000 sounds really nice on the air too as evidenced by a notable station in Bakersfield who is a fellow guitarist, George KD6ME. He has a really good sounding station. I cannot speak specifically of the new Icom 7300, but my good friend Dennis W6DQ just bought one and was listening with it last Wednesday during the AMI Net and reported that it sounds amazing on RX. So, it remains to be heard how it plays on the air.
    What I would like to know is how some maintain that many "riceboxes" don't fully modulate. Any radio can be made to modulate well and I will give a for instance here:
    WD7F, John here in Tucson has a trick where he inserts a little box with an adjustable negative ALC voltage into the ALC input of his Icom IC-756 Pro III and adjusts it so that it produces very near 100% modulation, as before it was very anemic on AM. What seems to be common place with many of these radios is they aren't optimized for great sounding AM. My Icom 775DSP is a perfect example. A tremendous radio to be sure but it simply does not modulate that well. I am going to try the WD7F trick to see if it can wake up and walk the dog like my "Dog" does (FT-1000D) and seeing how it has wonderful sounding audio, there should be no reason why it can't. After all, most of us Hams are never satisfied and are always looking to find ways to make improvements.
    To be sure, not all AM enthusiasts are into heavy metal or even the table top boat anchors and I can see why. The pros and cons are very well documented and
    there always seems to be another flavor of the year on the docket with hopeful specs and operational characteristics that play into the AM ops wish list.
    I hope the 7300 has the goods for AM because of the comments made by owners so far indicate it's an outstanding radio by all other means.
    Let's hope!

9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My bro Eric is hot to trot to get one of these. I have been trying to cool his jets as we have yet to hear of how well this radio performs on AM. At least he is concerned about his AM sound quality so I can't be too critical of the lovable dumb lug.

Radios such as the FTDX-1200 and FTDX-3000 can be opened up to 4K via a couple of menu button pushes. No soldering irons required.

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

If folks get offended then they need to get a life and worry about the big things.

W0BTU likes this.