ad: Schulman-1

Ric Sims, K4SCI

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KD4MOJ, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the Tallahassee Democrat:

Eric "Ric" Martin Sims Eric "Ric" Martin Sims passed from his earthly life Monday, January 19, 2009, and is now enjoying his new body with his Heavenly Father. Ric was born January 21, 1965, in Birmingham, Alabama. After several family moves he called Tallahassee, Florida, home until moving back to the Inverness area of Birmingham with his mother in 2004. Ric graduated from Lyman Ward Military Academy in Camp Hill, Alabama, in 1983. He served in the US Army 1st Armored Division in Germany. He retired with an honorable discharge in 1988 after suffering accidents that rendered him paralyzed from the neck down. Even with this tragic setback, Ric set the example of living life to the fullest regardless of one's physical limitations. He even sky-dived two times after his injury in tandem jumps. He enjoyed all motor sports and firearms. Ric loved electrical technology: audio/visual, amateur radio and computers. He held an Amateur Radio General License and was a member of the American Radio Relay League. He was a Web master for several online forums, with a special interest in providing an online community for people requiring wheelchairs. The radio and computer were his lifeline and gave him many dear friends and many more hours of enjoyment. Generosity was his nature, be it time, equipment, expertise or his opinion. Ric made an instant impression on those he met and will be missed by many. He was preceded in death by his father, Frank Woodard Sims. He is survived by his mother, Bobbie D. Sims, who lovingly devoted the past 20½ years to caring for her only son; his sister, Karen S. Waldrop; brother-in-law Bruce Waldrop; nephews Trevor and Kyle Waldrop; niece Alaina Waldrop; several aunts, uncles and cousins; caregiver, Kendra Peters and many friends both cyber and on the air. At this time no services are planned. However, notes of condolence may be mailed to 129 Willow Ridge Lane, Indian Springs, AL 35124. Memorials may be made in Ric's honor to the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA), 801 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006-3517 or info@PVA.org.

I knew Ric for more than 20 years, long before we were both amateur radio ops, meeting on the computer bulletin boards (RBBS) in the late 80's. Motorcycles and computers knotted our friendship. Ric was a TRUE inspiration to everyone that he met. He was confined to a wheelchair most of his adult life after having a motorcycle accident while he was in the army. Even though he was a quadriplegic and had to have someone (his mom mostly) care for him, Ric could work magic with his mouthstick, able to type on the keyboard so fast you would not even know he wasn't typing with both hands. With that stick he could spin the radio knob on his Icom IC-746 so fast your head would swim! Ric eventually changed his callsign (KG4BNL) to the vanity call, K4SpinalCordInjury.

Even if I had a bad day, I would think of Ric and his positive outlook on life and immediately I would feel better. I think that everyone who had the pleasure of meeting Ric would probably agree that he was one of the most truly inspirational people that they had ever met.

Rest in peace Ric, you are no longer confined.

Doug
    KD4MOJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.