Rhythmical words that are easy to catch?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM6KJI, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure if they qualify as rhythmic, but a few commonly used words that I find easy to recognize:

- Meet
    - Wid (with)
    - CU AGN (typically come together and are easy to recognize as a pair)
    - Temp
    - Ant
    - ES (really a prosign but easily recognizable)
    - BT (same, an easily recognizable prosign and a place to regroup and start copying again if you fall behind and have to clear your head)
    - Test
    - Best (as in Best 73...)

WB5YUZ and W5BIB like this.
  2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am real bad at CW reception, but I can copy "5NN" and '73' sent at very high speed.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, TEST is sent as NST maybe half the time, just like aboat a third of our Canadian brothers send their prefix as SN, a compound character, like AR or SK (I don't know how to make that superscript bar on a keyboard).

But if you copy in your head, you're relying a lot on context anyway, and your thought processes will reject NST and SN and substitute TEST and VE automatically and more or less simultaneously. This is exactly the kind of thing no code reader can currently do, and code readers will not be able to do until much more progress is made with artificial intelligence.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    W5BIB and M6GYU like this.
  4. KW0FRE

KW0FRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy to tap out my own name, Pete.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  5. KM6KJI

KM6KJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it really is, specially if you make the T (dah) sound a little bit longer, like di-dah-dah-dit dit dahhh dit - very jazzy!

6. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

My name is Steve and for some reason when I merely have a rig on and tuned in to CW if I hear someone send "Steve" it pops out. My attention can entirely be on something else and the ops can be going 40wpm. As soon as I hear "Steve" it stands out like someone smacking me over the head with a 2x4. Though, I do find there are a lot of ops named Steve also...

AJ6KZ likes this.
  7. KM6KJI

KM6KJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup same here, although it is not my name. Also it somehow reminds me Woody Woodpecker's laugh, whenever I hear it in CW. :D

W5BIB likes this.
  8. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

HIHI That made my day. Thanks! Never heard that before or thought of it, but I can see that. Now I'll forever think of cartoons when I work CW.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same thing with MSG for message... usually sent as as 7G

WB5YUZ likes this.
  10. WB4BIN

WB4BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Tennessee :D

KJ4VTH and KC8QVO like this.