ad: AlphaRF-1

Rhythmical words that are easy to catch?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM6KJI, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's an AWFUL feeling, isn't it!!!

But a strong motivator for hearing the "trigger words" that can all end in a "?": what, when, how, where, which, etc. - ALL of which can very often end in "?"

The "dreaded question mark" is a big part of what forced me to really start trying harder to copy.

HOWEVER - you can always come back with "SRI OM UR QUESTION AGN AGN TU".... then just try as hard as you possibly can to "pull it out" on the second go-round. I've done this a zillion times in my 45 years on CW

Good luck!

Dave
    W7UUU

K7TRF and KM6KJI like this.
  2. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, this isn't a whole word, but two Ls in a row stick out like a sore thumb to me. It's usually either call or fall or perhaps just all.

And on a side note, believe it or not the letter that usually flummoxes me in chatting is Q. Go figure.

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

dididit dit dit dididah = SEE U (see you)
    or;
    dididit dididah = S U (see you)

Both versions have a nice rhythm & were used a lot by Merchant Shipping & Coast Station Operators as a final transmission (sent right before the dit dit);) no matter what their country of origin was.

see u
    dit dit

:D

M6GYU and KM6KJI like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THANK YOU KELLY,

THREE CHEERS FOR MOLASSES

SHIPBOARD RADIO OPERATOR.gif

HAVE LOTS OF FUN WITH THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CW.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  5. KM6KJI

KM6KJI Ham Member QRZ Page

As a beginner I've also practiced sending "THX FER CALL" maybe more than thousand times, followed by "UR RST 5NN" :)

6. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

And surely a strong motivator to actually listen to what the other person is sending you and/or getting better at reading morse maybe?

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! The "dreaded question mark" made me a MUCH better CW operator before I was even 20 years old.

Dave
    W7UUU

M6GYU and W5BIB like this.
  8. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To answer your original question, here are some of what I think are the most easily identifiable, memorizable, rhythmical words/abbreviations:

FEET
    FER
    TNX
    TU
    RST
    THE
    HERE
    TEST
    RIG
    WX
    OP
    DX
    CW
    CQ

Enjoy CW and keep at it. It's great and worth the effort.

KM6KJI and K7TRF like this.
  9. KM6KJI

KM6KJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this word. I always sent "FT" instead of "FEET", didn't realize FEET sounds better in rhythm ... di-di-dah-dit dit dit dah-!

10. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

My name, Steve, is rhythmic in CW. "ste" and "ve" are the same, just slightly different spacing.

W5BIB and KM6KJI like this.