Rhythmical words that are easy to catch?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM6KJI, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KM6KJI

KM6KJI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been almost a year since I made my first cw qso, but I'm still far away from any proficiency even at very low speed. But, I'm also enjoying the slow progress, I feel myself getting better little by little.

In many situations, either training or real, I feel my brain easily loosing focus unless I hear some familiar words that I already picked up very quick somehow. Those words have some musical rhythm that is easy to remember (or hard to forget once picked up). Just a few of them here:
    FER
    QTH
    NICE
    TIME
    BEST

What are your favorite words that you learned so quick with no much effort? I want to try yours and see if they fit in my sense of rhythm.

2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations! You are starting to recognize whole words. This is a big step forward.

Try listening to a little high speed practice, W1AW or streaming online. Listen to stuff that goes a little faster than you can copy. You will soon find yourself picking out more and more whole words until it becomes how you "think" with CW.

K0UO and KM6KJI like this.
  3. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

KM6KJI likes this.
  5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

"the"..

ill never be a cw op but i love the sound and had fun learning to copy by sending as fast as i could driving, id send each sigh i saw b4 i passed it. im a 13 wpm extra and still have fun with a bencher,built on curtiss keyer and speaker,9 v batt.
    i turn it around, then do it left handed!
    no,im not good enuf to qso but i still like it...
    --... ...--

6. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure if this fits your criteria for "easy to learn" words, but I've always thought the name "George" had a nice rhythm. :)

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

C ----- SEE
    U ....... YOU
    L ....... LATER
    73 ...... BEST WISHES
    BCNU..... BE SEEING YOU

HAVE LOTS OF FUN IN THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CW.

happy-new-year-colorful-animation.gif

AJ6KZ and KM6KJI like this.
  8. KM6KJI

hmm let me see... dah-dah-dit dit dah-dah-dah / di-dah-dit dah-dah-dit dit .. I'm not sure :p
    For me "Steve" is the easiest one to copy, except those short names like "Tom" or "Jim"

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As a young Novice in 1974 struggling to copy faster speeds, the thing I HATED MOST was "?"....

That almost always meant he asked me a QUESTION***.... so I tuned in very early to words like "what", "where", "when" and "how" - words that very often will become a question - so I would hear those "trigger words" and listen my very very best knowing that a question was coming....

...and the DREADED "?"

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

***back then, a lot of old timers would send a "?" to indicate they realized they had sent a typo and would resend - have not heard that done in many years - but back then, a "?" could have two meanings: I'm asking you something, or "let me resend that"

K7TRF and N1OOQ like this.
  10. KM6KJI

That's exactly what I feel, I often misses the other op's question and makes a wrong answer, not even realizing that it is a question until I hear di-di-dah-dah-di-dit