RG8U cable management solutions

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN6OAK, Apr 11, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6OAK

KN6OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a 3d printer. It's so stinking hard to calibrate it that I have stopped using it. Also the filament drys out and breaks off randomly. Of course it's only a chepo unit so not much can be expected.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI, since you live in a sunny climate:

Here at 5100 ft in sunny CO my experience has been that the UV resistant cable ties fail after 5 years, sometimes less. Perhaps there are more expensive ones that will last longer, but certainly the ones available at the big box home stores don't.

WA9SVD likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There certainly are. In the communications business these things routinely last decades!

KB0MNM and N0TZU like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Could you direct us to a source of some? (The satellite and WISP installers cable ties also failed here, but maybe they used big box store ones!)

5. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Panduit UV Weather Resistant Cable Ties.

KP4SX and N0TZU like this.
  6. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KN6OAK

KN6OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Cable ties.. While I won't be using them on this install, I purchase all my ties from Electrical Wholesalers (Walters, Graybar, CED...), Thomas & Betts are the brand and I have them installed on all my off road vehicles and never had one go bad. The ones installed in my pool on equipment last about 1 year. Sun and chlorine combined is rather harsh.
    My solution is BX.MC.FLEX One Hole Straps from Lowes. $1.69 for 10 pcs and you can hand-bend them to fit snug.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always use a bit of electrical tape to increase the diameter of the cable where you want to put the clamps... :cool: Won't affect the performance of the cable one iota!:rolleyes:

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what kind of "cable ties'" you use, but use them with caution! You can easily deform the coax if you pull (the typical type of) a cable tie too tight, and THAT can lead to a changed SWR and/or actual shorts inside the coax. (Foam or air insulated coax is much more susceptible to this than solid insulated cable.)
    YMMV, but I use (instead) nylon webbing ( 3/4" to 1" wide) and "fastex" (TM) buckles for such use, pulled JUST tight enough to hold firmly, without actually compressing the coax. They usually last about 15-20 years exposed to sun/weather, which is usually longer life than "cable ties." Yes, more expensive than (inexpensive) cable ties, but reusable and/or reposition-able.