RG-8x and RG-8u

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6DCN, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's 8X and there's 8X. I have acquired several hundred feet of 8X very cheap via the Internet, and I have not yet found what's wrong with it. I mainly use it for Field Day, and a 200 foot run of it worked great on the HF bands last June. It came with connectors on it, so I haven't seen if the braid coverage is decent or not yet.

Now, RG-58 is something else, entirely. I regard most 58 as junk. Decent 8X at least has a stranded center conductor, making it more flexible.

I use 8X in lots of places - mobile and portable installations, going around rotators on HF beams, and jumpers in the shack, though I've started to make more of those from double-shielded cables.

When assembling your own connectors, be sure you have the correct adapters for RG-8X. It's not the same size as the one used for RG-58.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

::The RG8X adapter is type UG-176, while the RG-58 adapter is type UG-175.

There is very good RG58 cable available cheaply, with a stranded center conductor...it's very flexible, more so than RG8X, and very high quality.

Here's one example: RG-58C/U made by Belden as P/N 9203. I have lots of it. It's flexible as wet spaghetti and has a higher DWV rating than RG8X...

WB2WIK/6

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are different versions of RG58/U: The RG58A/U and RG58C/U have stranded center conductors and are MUCH more flexible than the solid center conductor versions.

As for the reducers: If you remove the outer sheath of RG8/X then you can use the smaller reducer that is intended for use with RG58/U. The same thing for RG59/U cable. That is, if you remove the outer sheath you can use the smaller reducer. Now using the correct reducer is always right. But, you will not be able to tell the difference between using the smaller reducer with RG8/X or RG59/U coax and using the "proper" size reducer.

Glen, K9STH

4. KD8GFC

KD8GFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your question has basicly been answered I just thought I would throw in what happened over here . I had 80' of RG-8X on my 2m/440 antenna for about 2 weeks and then asking similer questions I decided to change it out for 80' of 9913-F7 coax and the difference was like night and day better recieve and much better transmit on VHF/UHF Im sure 8X would work ok for HF wirh runs under 100'. 73's Jim !!

5. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Allot of real good stuff here Thank you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.