ad: Prosistel-1

RFinder caught scraping data!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NV8Q, May 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NV8Q

NV8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The phone company put dummy info in the phone books for years -- to catch the other phone book companies when they scam their listings.

3. NV8Q

NV8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep! There wasn't any "dummy" info in Repeaterbook, but it is otherwise obvious.

4. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

I.....honestly don't really care? The fact that we need to scrape and dig and "talk to the owner" or find out the PL's and all that to do repeater listings annoys the hell out of me; more accessibility is better. Does the submitter care if a new ham finds the local machine via Repeaterbook or RFinder? Doubt it.

5. NV8Q

NV8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

They'd care if they spent $10 a year on a subscription for data that is rubbish compared to the free data.

6. KC4YLV

But i thought the whole point of this thread is that RFinder is scraping Repeaterbook? Why's it rubbish all of a sudden?

If you provide a useful information service for free in 2016, either you provide a clean API to let third parties hook in, or you get scraped.

7. NV8Q

NV8Q Ham Member QRZ Page

So you'd have no problem if I profit heavily from your unpaid work? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

8. KC4YLV

Nope. Once I put it on a free and open website, if you can convince people to pay for it, more power to you, as obviously I couldn't figure that out.

9. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

shame on RFinder and the ARRL for supporting them.

AB3TQ, KC9UDX and KD8DVR like this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

See below from months ago.... KK2DOG asks a question:

The "founder" of RF Finder responds:
    Snarky "foundr" W2CYK makes a nasty comment to DOG but now we know who the real knucklehead is. And now we know the REST OF THE STORY.

KC9UDX and KD8DVR like this.