ad: Amateur-1

RFI quiet solar generator

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WS4G, Mar 5, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WS4G

WS4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Am looking for a packaged solar power system like GoalZero, Inergy, Jackery, etc. with low RFI. Anyone have experience with which ones are RF noisy or RFI quiet? I have a DYI one but in this case am looking for a packaged one.

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it is more of a battery charging system than a "generator" but the units from Morningstar are used very heavily in the commercial field. The only caveats are most commercial field use is for VHF or higher frequencies and there is at least one poster here who was more "meh" on them. Personally I haven't see any problems with the one model I've used on HF.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would consider the Buddipole PowerMini if you are mostly interested in using it with a radio and not running a full-size RV. It can handle a 12o watt panel.

This controller is RFI quiet.

Do your "energy budget" calculations and size a battery and solar panel accordingly. This controller will handle up to a 120w panel. Watch out for solar panels with on-board USB chargers - they may be noisy.

If you use 10 gauge wire and Powerpole connectors, you will have a quality setup which you configured. You won't be stuck with a system which has proprietary connectors and non-programmable charge rates.

4. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run the power mini too. Happy with it. Whomever came up with "Solar generator" needs a spanking.

AK5B and KG7WGX like this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

The only RFI-quiet solar charge controller I know of and use are the ones Genasun makes (a company owned and run by hams). I use one of their GV-10 lithium MPPT models for my Bioenno LiFePo brick and it's totally quiet.

HTTP://GENASUN.COM

Jeff

6. MIRANDASD

MIRANDASD QRZ Member

The RF solar charge controller is extremely noisy on HF while charging.

7. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like the term "Solar Generator" either, but for what he's describing (packaged CC, battery, inverter) I can't think of a better term and it seems to be catching on.

8. MIRANDASD

MIRANDASD QRZ Member