RF-Seismograph: White Island Eruption causes worldwide Radio Blackout

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

See message above... A

2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

See message above... A

3. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately, it's hard to explain something when it is not clear to me precisely what is being measured. So the statement "You can clearly see how the earthquakes disrupt the signal strength of the received signal." - actually, I am failing to see that clearly.

When looking at things like this, the only way to proceed is to attempt first to address questions about the data (not any further correlation to events like earthquakes or related) that are standard ones needed for any data source:
    • What are the exact frequencies and bandwidths used by your instrument?
    • What is the passband filter shape? Is it non-flat? Is this calibrated? If so, how?
    • What exactly is being measured and plotted?
    • How are measurements calibrated, converted to stable absolute (or relative) intensity, and traced to a known calibration standard?
    • What is the uncertainty associated with each measurement?
    • What is the vertical scale on the plot and in what units?
    • How do you distinguish human-created signals in the nearby / local environment from long path DX propagation when there may be no angle of arrival determination involved in the measurement? Both will mix together if present at the antenna and could have vastly different behaviors.
    Without this sort of information, I find it impossible to interpret wiggles on a graph as being anything more than an instrumental artifact, even though it might not be that. (That's science for you.) I realize that some of it might be in a manual somewhere, but sadly, I do not have time to dig it out from there or from groups.io postings. To address the questions posed in this general thread, answers to each of these questions here would be efficient and would address questions others have expressed as well.

BTW, I think the numerical analysis questions on the theory candidate in the last part of my (long) paragraph a couple posts above are still needed. But you must have this information already if you're producing analyses of some sort, so it should be straightforward to list that information.

KE0QQQ and N0TZU like this.
  4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear VE7DXW,

As I understand it, you are using that image as evidence that you are seeing precursors for earthquakes by receiving randomly transmitted ham radio signals.

Honestly, it doesn't appear to be what you think it is.

As one friendly ham to another, I would suggest that it may be in your interest to avoid doing that until after you research and understand the scientific method and the kinds of standards that are common in this field.

Controls for your experiment, and calibration of your equipment, can help you to understand random events or possibly see actual correlation.

Absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

Some friendly hints.

1. Define a question
    2. Gather information and resources (observe)
    3. Form an explanatory hypothesis
    4. Test the hypothesis by performing an experiment and collecting data in a reproducible manner
    5. Analyze the data
    6. Interpret the data and draw conclusions that serve as a starting point for new hypothesis
    7. Publish results
    8. Retest (frequently done by other scientists)

The 4th item above is a good one to concentrate on.
    "collecting data in a reproducible manner"
    Also, the peer review of your published results were mixed reviews, so that's an area that can be worked on.

If you intend to go down the path of oblique (sounding), you are going to need some known distant signal sources as "controls" for the experiment. Perhaps WWV and WWVH would be good for that purpose.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    KE0QQQ and N0TZU like this.
  5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be convinced I had some magical power to burn out streetlights when I was a little kid. Some of them burned out right when I walked under them.
    My mother pointed out that maybe they burned out all the time and I didn't know about it because I was only looking at the ones I walked past.

KQ6XA and N0TZU like this.
  6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

SO!!!! Maybe you are the cause of all the QRM around here! :mad: We need to buy you a Faraday Suit.... then the world would be quiet once again. :D

7. ZL2SCI

ZL2SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok slightly off subject currently there's hydro geo magnetic survey being carried out of regional Aquifers associated with rivers in the region using a Large coil suspended from a helicopter at various heights above the ground to generate a reflected signal from within the aquifers concerned .... much in the same way as mineral bodies are scanned for in geo stratas , ie gold silver and other minerals .... Respect to the aquifer data this is a relatively new .
    Now back to Earth Quakes generating Interference or energy spikes ,,, It was reported that a Geologist observed a coronal type effect in the atmosphere above a fault fracture Zone which both up lifted about 9m at one end and the fault surface moved over a distance of 150 kms approx
    So my comment is knowing the tremendous forces involved ie squeeze the rock at failure points I wonder just much energy is created to give the effects ... Whether one could also show similar effects of sprites above thunder storms as observed from the ISS either way re earth quakes and thunder storms tremendous amounts energy discharged in each case ...