RF-Seismograph: White Island Eruption causes worldwide Radio Blackout

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had my receivers on before, during and after the eruption and I never noticed a blackout either.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yes... it was indeed tragic. My heart goes out to the families of those killed, and to those who were burned in the eruption.

W7GST likes this.
  3. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm right... magma movement is not an eruption. Magma movement causes the rock to crack. The cracking rock is the earthquake and the resultant opening, caused by the earthquake (caused by the magma movement) results in an eruption. We might be splitting hairs on the actual language but the point is there is always a movement of rock prior to the eruption.

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe you're correct on that point. My point was that the earthquake which accompanies an eruption is not always of a magnitude that would stand out against the background of all of the many earthquakes detected daily around the globe.

For that matter, the recent New Zealand eruption didn't really stand out among the approximately 70 volcanic eruptions in 2019, about 45 of which are still currently ongoing.

It does stand out because of the human tragedy, of course.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Among the many reports I got of seismic/RF activity was one from a researcher who was also a ham, that happened to be at Mt. St. Helens prior to it's big eruption. He reported a VLF signal of tremendous intensity the night prior to the big eruption. So, yes, RF precursors and effects do happen with eruptions, too. There are periodic reports of magma moving underground in the vicinity of Mammoth Lakes in California - I wonder if there might be observable effects?

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Maybe there is VLF activity before eruptions and maybe it just randomly shows up.

AH7I, KX4O, W0BTU and 6 others like this.
  7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  8. W4HM

In what manner was the ionosphere blacked out by the earthquake?

Shortwave blackouts (sudden ionospheric disturbances) are caused by lot's of x-rays released by the sun in a solar flare. It takes approximately 8 minutes to arrive at earth.

Also a few days later if released by the solar flare energetic protons cause high latitude signal black outs (polar cap absorption) and electrons stoke up the visible aurora and low latitude ring current.

W0BTU likes this.
  9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest you read the research on their website for the RF Seismograph. They explain it quite well. What you describe is how the sun blacks out shortwave. There are other mechanisms, evidently.

KK4NSF likes this.
  10. W4HM

I've perused their web page many times. There are no forces or mechanisms in our planet that can cause a radio blackout of RF signals in the ionosphere.

This idea gets dug back up every few months here on QRZ. Claims are made that have no basis in scientific fact. At best it's pseudoscience.

W0BTU, N4DJT and N0TZU like this.