RF noise

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI8JK, Mar 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KI8JK

KI8JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, today I took a .004 1k disc cap and got under hood of truck and started touching all the fuses in fuse panel. All of a sudden noise quit. I took cap off and still no noise. Seems whatever I touched eliminated noise for now. I have driven it maybe 40 miles and still no noise. Stuff like that drives me nuts. LOL So I will see if noise ever comes back.

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's way cool.

Ed

3. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not read all the replies, skimmed them but does not look like anyone asked the magic question yet.

Where is your Radio Negative Lead terminated too? If directly on the battery, get it off of there ASAP. If there is a fuse on the Nagative lead, loose it.

4. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I HATE that... When something like that happens at work, I know it will be back. I can spend more time trying to reproduce the problem than diagnosing it. I suspect maybe a relay contact was partially stuck closed- and one got bumped when you were poking around in the PDC? Glad to here it's 'fixed' ;)

5. KC0CAP

KC0CAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I had similar on 2 Ford explorers. One the signal was there when you turned on the battery, the other after you started it. Could not figure it out.

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

On my 4.0 SOHC Ranger, an alternator condenser did wonders.

Ed