RF Friendly Used Cars

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3WN, Nov 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So in about 2 months, I’m going to be looking for another vehicle.

Why 2 months? The Boss’s car got hit by speeder 2 weeks ago. It’s totaled. She’s recovering from a broken leg an won’t be able to drive for at least 2 more months. (Thank goodness for side air bags.. a little bruising beats the alternatives!)

Why will I need a car? When the time comes, she’d like the Outback I’m currently driving back as her car.

So... any thoughts on a late-model used car (not more than about 5 years old) that will, amongst other thing, be relatively easy to mount a dual band V/UHF rig in, with a minimal of ignition noise or similar problems?

(And yes, the rig will get used. We have a small but active group, who still converse during the commute to work in the AM and home in the PM, on the club repeater.)

2. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here ya go...

:D

NL7W, K8AI, KE8JK and 2 others like this.
  3. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have a problem keeping a mag mount in place.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    NL7W, WM2Q, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A '66 Cadillac El Dorado convertible was a good choice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K8AI, KA4DPO, WM2Q and 3 others like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Out of the question. Little Miss Field Day would permanently swipe the keys (but not the payments)

K7WFM likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah. The mag mount is worth more than the car!

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfect example of a distracted driving poster.

8. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mercedes diesel from the 60s to mid 80s. Almost nothing in the car involves electricity.

K8AI, K0UO and K7GQ like this.
  9. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

A 6 Cylinder Toyota Camry or Avalon. All you have to do is routine maintenance.

Post 2008 ( I think) Toyota got rid of the timing belt for a timing chain which eliminates a $600 repair every 90K miles. It's a powerful car and rides smooth.

I don't know about your part of the world, but used Toyota Camrys are all over the place out here for not a lot of money.

My 98 has 317,000 miles and still runs strong. I installed a Tarheel Model 200 HP using a Yaesu ft-891 and I have no noise issues.
    No noise on VHF/UHF from the FT-8900 either.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a 2014 Toyota Yaris SE that is very RF-quiet on VHF and UHF. There are some places to mount a radio and control head, although I chose a removable seat mount as me and the dog are the only ones ever in the car, and she rides in the back.