ad: SDRKits-1

RF Connector for RV roof

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W6TMI, Jun 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,

Looking to put a connector on the roof of an RV to connect an antenna.
    I want the utility to put any antenna up there, while the obvious choice would be an SO239, they don't seem terribly waterproof. The next choice might be an NMO connector as more then likely it will be a V/UHF.

This will just be run into the cabin area, not the driver area.

Any ideas?

TIA

2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

We used a waterproof electrical box (gray)and drilled a hole in the bottom. I installed a panel mount SO-239 on the rear facing side and siliconed it from the inside of the box. I also silicone the box cover seal. I placed Butyl tape around the hole in roof and Dicor all around the base under the box then ran a bead of dicor around outside. I then put a weather proof cap on the SO-239. 3 years and no leaks and with the cap removed the connector still looks new. YMMV. Good luck.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just seal around the mounting area and when not in use put a plastic cap plug over it.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are waterproof connectors but you wouldn't want to pay for them. Or the tools needed to install the connectors.

5. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed thousands of NMO mounted antennas on police cars during my working years and never had any leaks. Only had a few leak on top of "boxes" (ambulances) when they knocked the antenna off with a tree limb. Of course your RV roof would need to be metal.

John WD5IKX

6. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an AC box cover, vs installing the whole box. Drilled it for NMO as usual, then used a "Thick Mount" NMO. You can also use this method with the NMO barrels that terminate in SO239. The screws used to secure the plate, can also be used as the connection point for any radials you want to add. I've seen aluminum tape used successfully. I used copper tape, and added a coat of RV seal over it.