REWARD: $500 cash for scammer posing as KK4XG/Leroy Jarrett

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA5TRO, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure sounds like you did everything reasonable to me.

Many (~15?) years ago I had a similar but much smaller $ value episode of a seller in FL not delivering something I had ordered. I recall reporting this via an online form to a US federal bureau - I believe it was an FBI form (and I checked, I note they still have a similar report form). I would fill this in, in addition to any local police filing.
    In my case I honestly didn't expect any action, it was about $25 or less as I recall, but I was irritated at having been scammed and wanted to at least start bringing the seller up on file in case it was a repeated thing (s)he was doing. I even recall saying something to that effect in my written filing. I was very surprised when a few months later a FL police dept called me, confirmed I still didn't have the products paid for, and they then went and paid the perp a visit. My money arrived shortly thereafter.
    In your case you don't have actual person ID, but you have enough details to give a federal agency all they need to track it down - since this would count as an interstate fraud it's their jurisdiction, a more significant $ value, and probably an easy case for them. Might get done just to make their 'case solved' stats look good. It can't hurt to try, anyway.

Had my bank card cloned in Huntsville AL when I lived there and my account drained but it was accessed from CT so a similar issue - I did go through reporting to local H-ville police but similar problem where they indicated the more serious crime was out of state so they couldn't do anything. (I did find out later they found the H-ville side of the scam though. Idiot did same thing to a bunch of people and only thing we all had in common was a single restaurant and even a single waiter on shift for every case.)

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Giant red flag. Never ever do a bank transfer to anyone and never send Western union.

Years ago I was behind in my van payment and struggling to keep up. Collection from Honda USA called and demanded that I send the payment Western Union. I refused and sent them a money order in the mail. Never ever will I deal with Honda USA again. Gave them there van back in 2010. Honda kept threatening me so I drove it to the dealer and said, "You want it back here you go".

Sorry to hear that you were scammed. I personally would never buy or sell anything online, no matter how good it sounds. That is how I protect myself.

Remember the old saying, "If it sounds to good to be true it probably is". I would rather walk into a store even if I have to pay a little more.

3. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A wire transfer is a transfer of funds immediately. When you go to your bank and wire funds to anyone, that money is in there account that same day. Up until last September the ACH Network was not a same day transfer of funds. It was always a next day transfer meaning if your employer paid you by direct deposit into your account and you wanted to be paid today they had to initiate the ACH credit transaction the day before it was to be in your account. Now same day ACH is possible however not all Banks offer it and they charge more for it than a regular ACH transaction albeit it's still cheaper than a wire transfer. But you have some limited protections through your bank with ACH transfers that you don't with a wire. With a wire once they send it it's gone. ACH transactions can be reversed (not any guarantee of success) and if the money is still there and the entity who's account the money is being reversed from doesn't contest it you get your money back. It also takes more time and you don't get your money back immediately but you do have a chance to get it back. That is why PayPal can get money back for you as they do it all through the ACH Network. When you agree to use PayPal you are signing an authorization that allows them to do both credits and debits to your account.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have questions.

4. K0EED

I agree, Never ever do that as you are giving your banking account information to whoever you are talking to. Protect your banking information like a hawk. People that don't are fools just waiting to part with their money.

5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this for real? Origination and destination was USA so this is wire fraud and your local prosecutor would be able to open many doors.

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a Gov't site to report to:
    https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

7. K0EED

If it wasn't done via Wire but by ACH then no the RDFI (the bank that received the funds on behalf of the scammer) by law can't release any information except to the account holder and law enforcement with the correct subpoena's. That's why scammers around the world like to use places like Western Union. Reloadable debit cards are also rife with fraud. Anyone can go get one at their local WalMart or any retailer and use that account to have people send funds to. Once they the fraudster see's the funds in the account they withdraw it from the account and just like a wire they are gone. Once that happens that money will never be seen again. If this individual did transfer funds by wire that money is gone anyway but the RDFI could have questions to answer to auditors and examiners regarding housing accounts that are known to be used by fraudsters. It's not from a Law Enforcement or Banking perspective an easy problem to fix or stop scammers using banks or reloadable cards to collect funds fraudulently.

8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

If that was an actual "bank to bank" wire transfer that is incorrect if both are in the USA, outside of the USA destination you are SOL.

9. K0EED

It depends on the bank that received the wire. If the recipient withdrew the funds from the account that money is gone. The fact they are in the USA has no bearing on it. Once the funds are withdrawn on the account the State the bank is located in is irrelevant.

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that might very well be true. However, since it is a felony and across state lines the FBI is now involved. When caught they typically plea bargain restitution for a lesser charge.