REWARD: $500 cash for scammer posing as KK4XG/Leroy Jarrett

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA5TRO, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, then I fell into that midscopied callsign trap. Sorry Lowell. You were robbed. A darn shame the bank is protecting their crooked customer. It's probably a long shot, but I hope you get your man.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glenn,
    Trap? How do you figure using that word?

3. KA5TRO

KA5TRO Ham Member QRZ Page

After doing some checking after the fact, I *think* the real KK4XG is SK and this guy bought his equipment to run this scam.

And, yes, I can confirm that the leroyjarrett322@outlook.com is the address he used.

The phone number he used was 256.808.0132, which appears to have been a prepaid phone.

That the bank transfer hadn't credited to his account. I confirmed that it in fact had, but that was all I could do.

I'd like to file a police report but I'm not sure where to do it, especially since BofA won't give me the address on the account.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Start a complaint with YOUR local Police department. Be sure to have all the dates/times/acct #s with you, so they make it into the original report. If you need to escalate it further, they should help you outline the steps required.

But ABSOLUTELY file this as soon as you can, to get it on record.

Best of luck,
    David / N2PQW

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've said it before and will say it again: I will never purchase outside of Paypal. And I will never sell outside of USPS money order.

I protect my interests. Don't like it? Don't sell to me or buy from me. And I'm happily on the record to say that. I've never scammed anyone and never will.

Bottom line: had this purchase been via Paypal Goods & Services (GOD FORBID not "Friends and Family" the OP would have an avenue for a full refund.

Now? He's just screwed.

Dave
    W7UUU

K7MH, N7ANN and WB5THT like this.
  6. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, perhaps a bad word choice? I really didn't think much of it. Instead of going back to the source post, I followed your lead and looked at the "C" account you had mentioned (after having read down that far). My comments were then based on that incorrect information. What word would you have preferred me to use? I should have taken the extra second to look back to the source. I fell into a "trap" sort of, of not doing that. But it was my comment, and it was my fault for relying on it - and not going back and looking for myself.

And now it seems that there was a typo and at some point an edit concerning the scammer callsign. All would be well again though if Lowell could get his money back.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Was the transfer by wire or by ACH? If it was ACH your bank should have contacted the receiving bank (RDFI) and requested the funds be frozen due to fraud. Then a reversal could have been initiated. I suspect you did a wire transfer though :(

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Never do a "check by phone" either. We were robbed by a company that advertised on national TV and still got ripped off, no recourse on that sort of transfer.

9. N5LB

N5LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't imagine ever doing a wire transfer but I am interested in the differences between doing so and ACH. I recall that payroll direct deposit used ACH, though I never had a reason to dig into the details.

It seems you are implying that maybe there is a way to better protect oneself as the seller in a bank transfer. Is there?

10. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Please Private Message me the following:

• Headers from any received emails (if you don't know how, provide your email provider, and I will send you instructions on how to see the Email Header)
    • Copies of text of all emails
    • Any private messages
    • Payment info (e.g.: how transferred, any tracking/control numbers, company sent via, etc.)
    • Any tracking numbers given to you
    • Any names of 3rd parties (if any) and the reasons you were told to pay them

KB3VWG