REWARD: $500 cash for scammer posing as KK4XG/Leroy Jarrett

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA5TRO, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA5TRO

KA5TRO Ham Member QRZ Page

REWARD: $500 cash for information leading to either the arrest and prosecution OR recovery of money/equipment from the individual or individuals involved in fraud using the identity of KK4XG Leroy Jarrett.

This person agreed to sell me a THP HL1.5kFX and HC1.5kAT set. They checked out on QRZ with email, sent photos with handwritten date stamp on the days involved, and we talked on the phone several times. I was convinced they were genuine. I did a bank transfer of funds, and immediately there was a problem reported... which at that point I knew I was scammed. Then the individual provided me with tracking info that was also fraudulent and disappeared, email on QRZ removed, etc. I have a phone number from Huntsville AL and the bank info, but the bank (BofA) won't tell me anything. Seller indicated he also had an IC-7800 and other gear. Photo is the one he sent me. If you can help, please contact me. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lowell,

Hate to tell you this but KK4XC has account on QRZ but has never accessed it. No posts ever and he has never had an e-mail account associated with his call.
    The real KK4XC is Gregory Hoisington III and he is from SEVIERVILLE TN.
    I hope this helps more than hinders your investigation. The plot thickens......

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

What email on QRZ? Where?

I am sorry to say that you walked right into that one with your eyes clamped tightly shut. There are a few sophisticated scammers out there who have made a lot of effort to make themselves look legitimate. Don't make it this easy for the really unsophisticated scammers. Just because you talked to someone on the phone doesn't mean you should ignore glaringly obvious warning signs.

All you had to do was ask the scammer to post something to the KK4XC biography page. Accept no excuses. When they couldn't do it, run away as fast as you can.

4. KA5TRO

KA5TRO Ham Member QRZ Page

It was KK4XG. I typoed the original post thend edited it.

The email that was on QRZ was later deleted, but it matched the email from which the individuatl responded. So *someone* had access to that page. I believe it was the scammer. The area was right (Huntsville AL area). He also sent a photo with a desk-type engraved sign with the callsign; that's when I asked for a handwritten one with the info on it.

Thank you very much for making me feel even better about this situation than I already do!

As for the rest, I had more than just a conversation on the phone. I had a direct picture from the 'seller' with a handwritten, hand-dated with the correct date (at the time) card in the photo, which I posted here, as well as another with the sign I referred to above.

So an expensive lesson learned for me, but I did *NOT* walk into this with my 'eyes clamped tightly shut' as you suggested. The original ad he responded to was not even on this site. I am hoping that I can get IP information. There was no EXIF data in the photo he sent, which at the time I didn't even think to check, because no warning bells went off for me, A lot of legitimate sellers will only accept certified funds or wire transfers. I wanted to do Paypal, and I guarantee I'll never again do business with anyone that refuses to accept it.

KC0BIN likes this.
  5. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

For Gods sake people use PayPal, if they won't take it, don't buy it! It is the ONLY protection we have.

Use it!

WY4J, KP4SX, KV6O and 3 others like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, what about KK4X Golf? Any activity on that one?

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What problem did they report?

8. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,
    You have identified the wrong callsign: The original post is about someone posing as KK4XG, not KK4XC.
    Your reply, however, brings up a what I consider to be a real opportunity for badguys, here at QRZ.com.

As far as I can tell, as soon as a new callsign appears in the ULS database, an account entry is created here at QRZ without the knowledge or consent of the holder of that callsign. It's then up to them to someday find and subscribe to this site on their own, and 'activate' a profile with more info.

I don't have access to the active membership list for QRZ, but I'm guessing it's a small percentage of the total license holders that have an "account" here. This means a badguy might be able to access an unused account and misrepresent themselves, without the knowledge of the holder of that callsign. It's been a long time since I enrolled, so I'm not familiar with the current vetting process to verify a new user, but I'd guess it could be foiled by a smart individual with evil intentions. No one can say all badguys are dopes. Just consider all the spoof phone numbers, phishing schemes, etc., clearly not the work of dullards.

The OP states "...They checked out on QRZ with email, sent photos with handwritten date stamp on the days involved... I was convinced they were genuine." And then, after the transaction was over, "... email on QRZ removed, etc."

If a badguy has access to an account on QRZ, he could post any proof you'd ask for, jump through any hoop you want, and then delete it all as soon as the money shows up. Seems to me that's exactly what has happened here.

Let's not attack KA5TRO for being a victim. He thought he had enough proof to be safe. Not all of us think like criminals, thank goodness.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

KV6O and AJ4GQ like this.
  9. N4IAG

N4IAG Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP didn't mention KK4XC, it is KK4XG who he is talking about.

I hope the crook is caught.

10. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Folks,
    I have made a major mistake here. I miscopied the call sign. It should be KK4XG, NOT KK4XC. Thanks to N2PQW for pointing this out!
    KK4XG's account was hacked on 01-30-2017. KK4XG posted numerous ads on QRZ, QTH and eHam over a few hours period. The e-mail used in these scams was jarrettleroy322@outlook.com.
    This account is still closed as the real KK4XG has never stepped forward to reclaim his account.
    Sorry for any inconveniences.

N2PQW likes this.