ad: wmr-1

Reviewing QSO Today's 2020 Virtual Ham Radio Expo -- and the Future of Online Hamfests / Conventions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Aug 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quin (K8QS, aka "Dr. Q") and Tom (WA9TDD) review the first QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo and offer insights into the future of hamfests/conventions. First video on the new Ham Perspectives channel.

2. KC0G

KC0G Ham Member QRZ Page

I have three comments on the review:
    1. The benefit of a structured schedule for the talks is that you can have a live Q&A session afterwards. This mirrors an in-person event. If all of the presentations were on-demand, how do you schedule Q&A sessions?
    2. There were 45 booths. Several were under the Gigaparts banner, but with a different manufacturer at each. To me they were separate booths.
    3. Some booths, eg Elecraft, did have links to Expo specials.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  3. K8QS

Thanks, John. Helpful comments. Quin, K8QS

4. N4UZZ

N4UZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The reviewers say "all the presentations were prerecorded." I don't think so. I attended the presentation on grounding, and the presenter responded to my live questions and to the live questions of others. You could not have done that if the presentation had been prerecorded. Now, when you pull up a presentation later on-demand, user questions and chat are disabled.

5. K8QS

Thanks for your note, Otto. I attended one on grounding too so am trying to remember. I know the Q&A was live. -- Quin, K8QS