Review: Yaesu FT-991A

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry - missed your post... I'm on the outskirts of London - also pretty noisy - and have both the 7300 and 991A. The 7300 is the nicer radio to operate, but I have to admit that the noise reduction on the 991A is far better. That said, what modes do you anticipate operating? If you are going FT8 like 90-odd percent to the radio amateur population, then you have to turn noise reduction off irrespective of the model of radio you have. For FT8 operation, the widest passband of the 991A looks a bit narrow. The 7300 is an excellent FT8 radio.

Martin (G8FXC)

2. W2LEW

W2LEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I liked the 7300 and everyone was raving about them, so I ordered one sight unseen. The receive was so noisy that it was next to useless. I live in the country here in Florida, and there is no interference nearby.
    Sold the 7300, and bought the FT991a OMG how much better. The 991a is my back up to my FTDX101D which also has a great receiver.

3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-991 passband is just fine for FT-8, and like the FTDX-1200 and -3000 can be shifted up or down on the fly as needed to cover the extremes with the IF shift function. I've been using the FT-991 and FTDX-3000 for years with great success on JT-65, JT-9 and FT8.

That said, the IC-7300 has a slightly wider passband and is therefore very slightly simpler to use on FT8.

Note that the FT-991/A and IC-7300 are radically different radios. And not because of digital signal processing - both use this in the critical back end of the radio. The IC-7300 uses it for the front end as well, which has some advantages and disadvantages.

But the main difference is that the FT-991/A adds excellent all-mode (including digital C4FM) VHF and UHF capability. And yes - its more complex and less intuitive to use. But the all-in one package is excellent for compact and/or mobile use. Paired with the Elecraft KPA/KTA-500, this is a very, very capable HF/VHF/UHF solution that easily fits on a small desktop and runs off of 120 VAC without complaint.

This is the combo I use at a small lake house i have where it is allocated 0.001% of available counter space. And it's still fun to use.

Brian - K6BRN

N4XRD and PA5COR like this.
  4. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding noise - the FT-991/A has a pretty quiet receiver - and better noise reduction compared to the IC-7300. But the IC-7300 also has a gain control (old school noise reduction) that works just fine and in the noisy Los Angeles basin, I've never known the IC-7300 receiver to present a problem in normal operations. One of my clubs has used this radio for very successful IOTA operations with nothing but praise.

Just avoid running it with the gain wide open and the pre-amps enabled on 80M or 160M, especially when right next to a commecial AM broadcast radio station.

Either radio might be challenged by many close-in, nearby powerful signals - and lightning crashes (as in Florida) are a challenge for ANY radio.

If I were considering a choice between the two, my first question would be "Do I need to cover VHF/UHF as well?" Many new operators begin in at the VHF/UHF end of the spectrum, on FM. The FT-991/A enables mobility into non-FM modes and opens up the HF spectrum as well, at about the same price as the IC-7300.

Both are good HF radios. Hard to go wrong with either.

Brian - K6BRN

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  5. KB0CWM

KB0CWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Darryl,

I have noticed the inverted and offset scope display for SSB on the FT-991A. The problem is strange but also the lack of people that comment on it. I have watch YouTube videos where people are using the 991 on SSB and see the same thing and wonder why no one comments. Have you learned any more about this probelm.

Thanks,
    Chris KB0CWM