Review: Yaesu FT-991A

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K9OU

K9OU Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone noticed an apparent inverted sideband displayed on the FT-991A scope? For example, if you tune in a LSB signal and watch the waterfall, the envelope appears to the right (i.e. higher in frequency) of the cursor. For an USB signal the envelope appears to the left. But with very strong signals I've also seen the envelope appear centered on the cursor. This behavior doesn't occur on my SDRPlay RSPdx.

Darryl
    K9OU

2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Biggest issue I had with the 991a is the learning curve. You need to be serious with that radio. I got lucky (not really) as an injury sidelined me for months. Until then I hated it as everything was a hill climb to get it to work as I wanted. Like others though I got unsolicited great audio reports. It's a keeper now. For digital modes not so sure and it doesn't play well with a lot of software. I use simple stupid 891 for digital modes now.

KU3X likes this.
  3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plenty of sketchy software out there. My FT991s have played well with every piece of software I use. And as bonus, I can switch between the 991s and FTDX3000s almost seamlessly, using the same laptop that I carry between sites.

Brian - K6BRN

KU3X likes this.
  4. KG5QLS

KG5QLS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Due to some hearing loss from military service I am attempting to setup CWTY software for CW decoding on my computer. The program setup file calls for a audio cable from my receiver audio output to my computer (YAESU 991-A). Anyone have any suggestions as to what audio cable I need to purchase?

Thanks

Rich Bohlman KG5QLS

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Could not agree more. For me it was an uphill battle all the way. But now....I would not part with it. Learning the in's and out's of my TS590S was super easy. I hardly even needed the manual. But I surely needed the manual with the FT991A.
    Barry

6. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

its one of the very nicest radios,full features, ive ever seen.
    i keep reading of problems others have with it.
    i had one and the lousy screen compared to 7300 was enuf for me.
    i lost 10 % when i returned it.
    id still give 1500 for a "fixed"991a.
    i would really love to have one.

KU3X likes this.
  7. VK4TI

VK4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how you might deal with an older tube radio and analogue front end , some petty screen doesn't make an ok radio great
    after 64 months of using my ft991 I am still happy to continue using it ,

KU3X, PY2RAF and KG5QLS like this.
  8. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

fine,im so happy for you.
    after using my 7300 i will never use an old fashioned radio.
    that display is the greatest advance in radio history...

9. G7UNF

G7UNF Ham Member

middle of the London city , electricsl noisy enviorment, planning to order one of these FT991A/Icom IC 7300, please advise me , 73

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  10. W3KKO

W3KKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Darryl, I wouldn't be surprised if its inverted on the 991A, as that's how it looks on my 3000