ad: elecraft

Review: Yaesu FT-991A

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

7300 display is fantastic. for the first time in ham history,at a good price, you can finally see what going on in the entire band.
    the 991a display is useless. i had one and returned it.
    7300 tuning is "touchy",dont like that, love the rest...
    and i say once more, i will give 1500 for a 991a with a 7300 display...
    fix it yaa sue !!

2. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess one radio is optimized for operating, the other is optimized for lovingly casting ones gaze upon. I choose the former rather than the latter, but that's just me, and I'm funny that way. In this case however it's comparing apples to oranges. No way you're going to take a 7300 straight out of the box and start operating on 2m or 70cm no matter how good the display looks.

PA5COR likes this.
  3. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't buy the FT991A for the display, always did without and worked the world with the FT847 with Collins filters and FT 2000-D all without display.
    The 991 A display is a foot away from my working place, is informative enough, but the radio works fine and has 2/70 all mode in it.
    Yes, i used both, yes the display of the 7300 is nicer, but that does not define what i look for in a radio.
    The better noise fighting tools on board of the 991A, menu of yaesu I'm used to.
    Worked 4 stations in Japan from the Netherlands yesterday evening on 160 meter running 20 watts into my vertical from the FT991A.
    No overshoot ruining my Heathkit SB-1000, no A/D converter that fails with high signals, no open barn door filters making the 7300 useless here in the EU where high signals are more the norm as exception.
    There the FT991a shows who is boss.
    Glad you are happy with your 7300, it failed the test for me here.

PA3KC and KU3X like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel the exact same way !
    Barry

5. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear VK:

This madness is called "Amateur Radio". A hobby. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That means that any participant can chose, value and operate any legal piece of gear in any legal way they want. No lives or livelihoods depend on it and no one should shed a tear if someone prefers a purple tube rig running off of the current generated by decomposing camel dung. Each to their own.

Same thing with skill, achievement and award levels.

So... no need to be so exasperated. I STILL think my old HW-101 is the finest transceiver ever built and if I could still get all the tubes to work at once and the switch contacts to stay clean, I'd still be using it.

Unfortunately I have to make due with a collection of radios that happens to include two well used Yaesu FT-991s (NOT "a's"). And they are pretty good. Actually, GREAT from my perspective. Easily portable, good receiver with very agile filtering, easy to listen to, all-mode VHF/UHF. It just does the job quite well and squeezes quite a bit of enjoyment out of the hobby for me.

So did the HW-101, HR-10B (THAT was a dog!), FTDX-3000, -1200, IC-7300, etc.

So... where were we? Ah!, Did I mention that I repainted the HW-101 - in some VERY interesting colors!

No worries. Just a hobby. Just a bunch of amateurs having fun. no need to take anything about this tooooo seriously.

Brian - K6BRN

6. VK4TI

VK4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have my Ft991, modified with IF tap to drive an sdr ,ownership from soon after release . Had a 7300 for a few months , the spike killed my solid state amp and sold th 7300 , an expensive lesson . I found the 7300 kinda open and loose on hf rx , ft991 is set and enjoy

7. W9WQA

wow, go ez on yourself !
    i just compared displays. who could argue, the 991a is terrible compared to the 7300.
    7300 looks like a lab instrument, like a good scope.
    991a is not as good as a g90. face it...

KU3X likes this.
  8. K6BRN

Gentlemen:

Lab intruments vary just like radios - some are great AND easy to use, some (many) are not. All work well once you've read the manual and developed some operational awareness. I'm buried in them every day. Most recently a particularly complex R&S VNA with a great deal of app SW installed, and a Keithly DMM6500. Both are excellent. But you need to get beyond the "Training Wheels" state to really use them.

Being a user of both th IC-7300 and FT-991, I find them BOTH to work just fine. The FT-991 IS more complex - it has a lot more features - like all-mode VHF/UHF and all of the added command depth that entails. The IC-7300 is VERY simple and designed to be intuitive to use - its biggest strength. Traning wheels built-in. Not so much with the Yaesu.

Take your pick. And learn how to use them and you'll be just fine.

And if you wear glasses, you'll need 'em with either radio - the screens are tiny.

Brian - K6BRN

PY2RAF likes this.
  9. W9WQA

"Traning wheels built-in"

never pass up an opportunity to belittle or insult here on the forum..

10. K6BRN

That's just silly, Tom. You're simply looking for a reason to be insulted. Time to drop the "Poor me" posts and get on with life..

I'm STILL at the "Training Wheels" stage with the R&S VNA. It's going to take me quite a bit of time and work to figure out how to use the de-embedment features - and I'll need help and am not afaid to ask for it. That's what it takes to get the job done.

It's no different with the FT-991 - except that I long ago mastered it. By reading the manual and USING it. It's pretty hard to judge just how good or bad a tool is until you've mastered it.

The IC-7300 was more intuitive to use and had less to master. Does that make one better than another? Only in the way a claw hammer is better than a ball peen hammer for pulling out nails. Pick the right tool for your use.

As I said - both the IC-7300 and FT-991 are very good radios. And very different radios with very different capabilities.

Brian - K6BRN

NQ1B, KU3X and KD7LX like this.