REVERSE ENGINEERING the W4RRY Battery Booster

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by WA6MHZ, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It works great except it stretches the aluminum too much.
    Still trying to figure where that .50 Cal round went that I used to punch the hole for the MNO mount went....

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We usually just stack a couple of old phone books on the roof before we shoot through it -- we get about 10-12 spanish phone books at work every year, so we have plenty to spare.

3. AF6LJ

That's the problem, I used only one LA Phone Book.
    Led is expensive, and I hate loosing that much led.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"LED": What I did to my wife into the bedroom before we..... (WAY BACK WHEN)
    "LED": A semiconductor that lights up.
    "LEAD": What fishing sinkers are made of
    "LEAD": the wire coming out of Capacitors and Resistors
    "LEAD": the main role in a play or movie.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The airbag circuit is the WORST POSSIBLE thing to tap from! The LAST thing you want to do is run the chance that, when you need it, it won't work.

The fuse has already blown once. That's your warning.

A real technician would know this.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. WA6MHZ

The fuse tap was put in backwards. Now the tap is on the LINE side of the fuse and the airbag fuse will not be endangered.

Besides, what in the world did we do BEFORE airbags were invented? Oh, just DIED. My baby boy and his girl were SAVED by airbags when he went off the road coming down the Crest Highway (he was probably playing grab A$$ and missed the turn!). The car went off the cliff, and rolled many many times down a 100ft embankment. They WALKED AWAY from the crash thanks to the airbags!

7. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, that might make it go pop when not desired. Could break arms and necks.

8. AF6LJ

[​IMG]
    There this kind of Lead....
    What can I say, went to public school, not by choice.
    Looks like I need to dust........

Besides;
    Where Pat tapped off for his extra juice is not problematic.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

That was mostly Spanish. :)

10. WA6MHZ

Today I rewired the Orange box so that the battery Booster is ONLY engaged when I activate the Icom 706. Before it was permanently wired to the Gel Cel, which may have causes some drain. NOW, the relays place it in line when requested. However, the Gel Cel is ALWAYS being charged by the Engine voltage when the car is being driven. Hopefully that will give some better Gel Cel life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.