REVERSE ENGINEERING the W4RRY Battery Booster

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by WA6MHZ, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't sure if you had run a DC wire from the engine compartment through the wiring tunnel for the rear lights.
    It's something to consider....
    That DC gets back there some how.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Fuse block has a TAP OFF, with a separate fuse for the system. That is why I noticed the AIRBAG light was lit. It had blown the fuse! I replaced the fuse and got plenty of spares. From there it runs over to homebrew breakout box, where it goes to the APRS Tracker (through the 10G wires, from the front seat to the back seat and then into the trunk). Also the 2M/450FM and 222 rig are run from that. All that has worked great for almost a decade! I have a 20A circuit breaker going to the fuse block for any short circuits that could occur. The first and most important is to NOT STRAIN the fuseblock wiring. Melt that harness and the Town Car goes down in FLAMEs!

The AIRBAG isn't something that is used every day, so it is the best fuse to tap off of. It is only used when the car crashes. And if the car is wrecked, I have ALOT more to worry about than some silly ham radios!

3. AF6LJ

I see......
    It seems you have explored all the possible options.
    I still wouldn't give up on finding that spot in the firewall....

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Grease up a piece of weed-eater line and push it through the grommet with the wiring to the fuse box. Pull a stout string through the grommet with the weed-eater string, and use it to pull your power wires through.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't even find a grommet. The Town Car has a DOUBLE Firewall, so going through one side doesn't mean access to the engine compartment. If it COULD have been done, I would have done it back in 2005!

6. AF6LJ

Actually Pat you could do that....
    get a peace or two of number twelve through there.

7. KF5FEI

There has to be some place the wires go in and out. Wires and electricity are not teleported from one side of the firewall to the other.

Actually, some of the stereo forums referenced a way to do it on the passenger side.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that the signal with no load ? I would hope not.

Maybe you could just put a bypass switch that replaces the battery booster with a Diode when you do not need the boost.

That would keep the battery topped off, until you need to use it.

I don't think that unit was designed to charge a battery.

But You can come up with a good solution.

9. KF5FEI

You should just buy my van. It has a 150A alternator, already has two isolated 100 Ah batteries, one mounted under the passenger seat, and room for a pony.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or do like the rednecks around here do, Just shoot a Hole where you need it.

File off the rough edges so that the wire don't get damaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.