Reverse Bean Network skimmers and problematic callsigns?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AA4OO, Mar 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do CW skimmers have trouble with some callsigns?

Since getting my new call AA4OO I haven't seen any spots in the reverse beacon network. Previously I'd always see a half dozen or more spots on any open band when I'd send my previous call (N4PBQ).

I know I'm getting out because I'm getting quick answers to my CQs but it seems strange that not one skimmer has picked it up the new call. Do automated skimmers have issues with calls that end in OO or begin with AA?

I don't think it's my FIST because I even let the keyer send a few times with its electronically perfect FIST.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, yes they do. Software CW readers are notoriously poor at copying any code, not just one or two letters.

Steam EDUCTOR. (gratuitous capitalization).

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Dose anywon evor mispel 'beacon?':D

4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the Reverse Beacon Network for a lot of my antenna experiments. I have found it invaluable.

However, for my early experiments using my old J-37 hand key, my old Lafayette "bug", or my old Ten Tec keyer, I was getting very few reports.

I was really very discouraged.

I switched my RBN CW test signal generation to using FLDIGI as the Morse signal source. I now get a lots of reports using this CW modulating method. I send audio from FLDGI and my PC into my transceiver, just like I would for RTTY, JT-xx, PSK-xx, etc.

One string of "TEST TEST DE K8KJG K" typically results in 3 to 15 reports on bands that are open for reasonable propagation. I typically send this audio string only once per band, at 15 WPM, on USB, at about 3 watts PEP, via an old Ten Tec Argonaut 505.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. KC9UDX

I wonder what exactly it is that all of them are missing.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I love bacon!

[​IMG]

KC9UDX likes this.
  7. KC9UDX

Who doesn't?

I know a vegetarian who has never ever knowingly eaten any meat of any kind. She says bacon is very tempting and will be her undoing someday.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We need MORE BACON... :)

[​IMG]

Before anyone gets too excited...
    The boy "ham" on top,... has a broken leg, & the girl "ham" is helping carry him home !!:rolleyes: Such is life. "Try to help someone out, & ya get ...... every time":p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch the band you're sending on, and see if there are any obvious mis-readings of your call being spotted, perhaps?

10. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the RBN gets my sending speed wrong using the straight key, I can send at 20 WPM measured and the RBN reports it as about 15-16 WPM, it doesn't seem to have a problem reading my sending on the straight key, I get about the same number of spots on either the straight key or the paddles.