ad: TiltPlate-1

Returning to Ham Radio~if I can~FTDX 1200 question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7KKK, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:53 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I went through a very rough 19 months with11 hospitalzations and many surguries that included a pacemaker/difibraltor unit after a 3 way bypass to save my life. That device says in the book that I should avoid RF and EMI fields.
    I am hoping to return to the air of the maker of the ICD says it's OK to operate a 100 watt rig without reprogramming my device.
    As I had another brand that shocked me for no reason before it was changed out I would rather not have that happen again.

Anyway, I was looking at the Yaesu FTDX 1200. I had several Yaesu products and they all treated me well over the years. In particular I really liked the FT-990 and Field rigs that I had. I noted on You Tube that this radio has a CW decoder? Or do you have to get the FFT board?
    Never considered myself much of a CW op unless you consider my time as a Novice in the early 1970s. Plus my hearing is old too and I hate hearing aides!
    Wish me luck in returning. I even have permission from my HOA to put up an inverted V!

2. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

welcome back.

Perhaps you should consider digital modes like Ft8? That way you can install your rig in one location and then operate it remotely using a tablet or laptop? Your exposure to RF will be greatly reduced and you can still make contacts.

3. W7KKK

Not back just yet, but planning. I do have to get clearance from the ICD manufacturer.
    Not much for digital modes, tried them at one time.
    Rather old fashioned (and getting older) and kinda prefer casual rag chew.
    Also looked at IC-7300 but I had a bad time with an ICOM repair station an my last from them. It was an IC-746 that suffered a failure of the driver chip just one week out of factory warranty. I was hoping they would cover the problem so I took it to a local contract station. I told them if they could not repair it (I could not buy the new chip from them directly) don't ship it I would have it repaired elsewhere.
    The contract station had nobody that worked on HF gear so they did not even look at it and shipped it to ICOM in WA state even though I had told them otherwise. About 4 weeks later I called ICOM and they would not even talk to me about what was done or the cost as I did not ship the rig to them! Yet the rig was bought new and registered on the ICOM website as mine! Sounded to me like they charged the contract station one price and allowed them to make a profit over and about that.
    I sold the rig and have never owned another ICOM product. Just mad me mad!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM
  4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a Flex SDR with Maestro controller which will allow you to operate anywhere remotely.

5. W7KKK

I suppose if that's all I could have, but I like a rig in front of me.

6. M0REU

M0REU Ham Member QRZ Page

To decode Morse code on the ftdx1200 you will need the FFT board fitted.

7. W7KKK

TNX, not sure I would really need/want it for the cost of it.

8. M0REU

M0REU Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one and to be fair, unless the signal is strong -it doesn't work that well.

9. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT is one hell of an accomplishment, and hopefully an omen for your quick return to the hobby.

IMO, if you take precautions to keep RF off the feedline (balun, choke, etc.) and put as much distance as you can between the antenna and your operating position you won't have any problems. In fact I wonder if you could find another ham with a similar setup to what you plan on running who can take RF field strength measurements near the operating position so that the decision is made with as many facts as possible.

10. W7KKK

OK, I got a Xmas present from the maker of my device, Boston Scientific, here is there email response to my query in short about operating a typical 100 watt station, 3.5-30 Mhz.
    Thank you for contacting Boston Scientific with your questions about HAM Radio.

"The specifications you listed (100 W transmission at 40 ft away) would be ok for you and your device. In the range of 51-125 Watts, it would be optimal for there to be at least 6 ft of separation between your device and the antenna.

The specifications I referred to above can be found in our EMI Compatibility Guide which can be located online via the following link:

http://www.bostonscientific.com/en-...ice/using-household-appliances-and-tools.html

I hope this is helpful and allows for you to get back to your hobby soon!"

I think I am going to have to go buy me some equipment for Xmas!

Knowing my preference for some older gear I may even look around for an IC-765 or an FT-990. I had the FT-990 at one time and should have never sold it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 2:28 PM